Hello to our GSoC 2020 students,
We are already 1 week officially into the GSoC 2020 coding period.
I hope you have taken advantage of the bonding period to get up to speed with the XWiki project, its code and documentation, and that you have a pretty good idea of what you need to do to turn your project into a success.
As for tips and things that you need to do in the following (coding) period, please make sure you read carefully the Suggested way of working for accepted GSoC students and Conditions for success sections in the Student Guidelines, particularly:
- keeping your progress report page up to date
- creating your design page, as instructed
- making your contribution to the XWiki project (pull request)
Working on your project is great, but it’s only half of the work that GSoC involves. The other half is integrating into the community, letting people know what your are working on, asking for help and learning to ask the right questions, and generally communicating about yourself and your work.
In order to keep in touch, additionally to reading and being active on the forum, you also need to be present on the Chat as much as possible (at least while you are working on your project) so that:
- people see you and can quickly get a hold of you
- you are exposed to everyday community activity that might spark your interest
- get more occasions to ask questions
- get more occasions to help others with their problems should you know the answer
Hope you are finding XWiki to be an interesting project and that you are enjoying your GSoC so far.
-The XWiki Development Team