Is there a xwiki version for Debian bullseye

Hi all,
I run a Debian 11 with tomcat 10.
Is there a paket fitting this environment?
I am a tomcat /xwiki newbee.
So if a very detailed instruction is anywhere.
I ame deeply grateful for tips where I can found some info.
On the wiki site I found only a pakage for tomcat 9

many thanks Charly

Hello,

The (detailed) documentation for installing XWiki on Debian is available on the Administration documentation.

From what I can see, it does not mention anything specific for Debian Bullseye.

Hope that helps. If it doesn’t, do not hesitate to share your installation issues, or to update the documentation with Bullseye specific details.

Tomcat 10 is not supported right now. There is breaking changes in Tomcat 10 and an application need to be made for Tomcat 10 or 9 but cannot really work for both out of the box.

That being said, according to Debian -- Package Search Results -- tomcat9 there is a tomcat9 package on Debian 11.

Now if you need Tomcat 10 for other application and not only XWiki that’s another story indeed. You could maybe try https://github.com/apache/tomcat-jakartaee-migration but I cannot tell you if that works well for XWiki or not.

I followed this Link and found this message

<This package contains only the startup scripts for the system-wide daemon.
No documentation or web applications are included here, please install
the tomcat9-docs and tomcat9-examples packages if you want them.
Install tomcat9-user instead of this package if you don’t want Tomcat to start as a service. >

1. What means to start as a service
  2. How do ist work if not a serveice.

an which of this I have to use to install xwiki in top of this?

Please remeber I am a novice

Charly

This is the description of what’s inside the package named “tomcat9” but this package also depends on (so package automatically installed when you install “tomcat9”) other package like “tomcat9-common” which give you a complete Tomcat 9 service ones everything is installed. The same way, when you install xwiki-tomcat9-mysql you also automatically install the package “tomcat9”, etc.

hi tmortagne,

eventually my question was not so clear written.

what I not understand is the diference betwen the “tomcat9-user” and the “other pakets” mentioned in the above link.
What is the diferece between “start as a service” and ???.
In what other mode can the tomcat started?

And maybe you can give me a short explanation to the diferent pakets I found there

Andere Treffer
Paket libtomcat9-embed-java
bullseye (stable) (java): Apache Tomcat 9 - Servlet and JSP engine – embed libraries
9.0.43-1: all

Paket libtomcat9-java
bullseye (stable) (java): Apache Tomcat 9 - Servlet and JSP engine – core libraries

Paket tomcat9-admin
bullseye (stable) (java): Apache Tomcat 9 - Servlet and JSP engine – admin web applications

Paket tomcat9-common
bullseye (stable) (java): Apache Tomcat 9 - Servlet and JSP engine – common files

Paket tomcat9-docs
bullseye (stable) (doc): Apache Tomcat 9 - Servlet and JSP engine – documentation

Paket tomcat9-examples
bullseye (stable) (java): Apache Tomcat 9 - Servlet and JSP engine – example web applications

Paket tomcat9-user
bullseye (stable) (java): Apache Tomcat 9 - Servlet and JSP engine – tools to create user instances

the meaning of tomcat9-docs and tomcat9-examples I anderstand, but the rest is not so clear.

many thanks for help

charly

Honestly, I’m hardly an expert on every Tomcat package’s details. I just install the tomcat9 one and it works :slight_smile: You will probably have to ask on Tomcat mailing list for that.