New xwiki request

As I said, this is already supported… this is markdown syntax/markup and we already support it…

Maybe it’ll be more clear if I show it to you. I’ve taken the liberty of creating a sandbox page to demonstrate it on your wiki.

You can go to https://neaty.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/edit/Sandbox/Markdown/WebHome?editor=wiki and see it in action.

Dear Vincent, all of it was clear as day to me the moment before you repaired the extension for md v.1.2. (Thank you again!)

Please, hear me. I’m talking about incorporating md into Xwiki syntax. Syntax, not the system. And even using it to control WYSIWIG. As more and more other systems do nowadays.

Hi @searoso, trying to clarify things here since apparently the discussion is not quite clear between @vmassol and you :slight_smile:

So, to be clear, what you’d want is to have a new default syntax, which would allow to type both XWiki syntax and Markdown syntax at the same time right, without having to select one syntax or the other, is that it?

One way for doing that right now, is by using the macro {{content}} which allows you type some content with another syntax. See: https://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Content%20Macro

Now could be interesting to know what would fit better your needs: a Markdown syntax with some specific features of XWiki Syntax or the contrary: a XWiki Syntax with some specific features of Markdown syntax? and if so which features from one syntax and from the other syntax fit your needs?

I don’t say we’ll do it right away, but it could definitely bring some improvments idea for a next XWiki syntax :slight_smile:

Thanks!

And FTR some chat we’ve just had about it: https://matrix.to/#/!ikPtGZaGWtyblizzlR:matrix.xwiki.com/$1578907598425TmGQK:matrix.xwiki.com?via=matrix.xwiki.com&via=matrix.org&via=matrix.wina.be

Sorry, I’ve been away for a while. =(

I think of the second option: ability to use md inside power and flexibility of Xwiki syntax. As a very useful example I would take (Wordpress.com), which 1) let control editor by adding md as you type, 2) offers a checkbox to render markdown formatting in final page. Don’t know what extent of it is implemented there, but it covers basic needs.

Personally I find wiki syntax counter-intuitive, so I try to stay away from all wiki-based syntaxi for typing (and I see that it could be perfect for processing). On the other hand I easily switched to md for typing and reading, as it looks good even when there’s nothing to render it; though it’s not that expressive.

Hope my feedback will be useful along with others. )

You don’t really answer my questions here :slight_smile:

Just answer the following questions with yes/no:

1. Do you want to use only Markdown syntax in wiki pages?
  2. Do you want to use both XWiki Syntax and Markdown syntax at the same time?

Maybe I just don’t pickup your point. =( So I explained what is important from my user perspective.

I don’t use md mode in Xwiki. I want all macros to be functional.
And it would be nice to use both simultaneously. (I already had my speech about WP editor.)