Creating a Wiki: User Scope, Membership Type, and Add Members

I need help in explaining the following when creating a sub-wiki:

1. User Scope: If I choose global users only, does it mean I am not allowed to create local users from that sub-wiki? If I choose local users only, then global users won’t be able to access it? What is the safest and most recommended option for this?

2. Membership Type: How do the last two options work? I tried join via request but admin needs to accept locally but I was not able to find the request when I logged into the admin user I created.

3. Add Members: How do you add members if you created the sub-wikis first before creating users?

4. Are these three settings editable? I tried to find ways to edit them but I cannot find it anywhere in XWiki. The only editable settings are the name, pretty name, aliases, etc.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hi,

yes, you’ll only be able to create users on the main wiki.

The access only depends on the rights you put on the subwiki, they might get access to it if the wiki is open.

It really depends on your usecase, it’s hard to answer without knowing more what’s the target for your subwikis. In a farm like myxwiki.org for example we’re using global and local users: it allows to have admins defined at main wiki level and to let the admin of each subwiki to create / register their own user local to that subwiki.

Maybe the documentation in https://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Wiki%20Application#HHowtojoinawiki can help you. Now to be honest we’re internally wondering if that feature should be kept or not, see: Call for usecases around membership feature of subwikis

In the administration of the wiki you can add users after they are created.

I’m not sure we have a UI to edit them, as presented in the UI for creating the subwiki. Now the settings are stored in documents (I’d need to find which ones) so it’s definitely editable.

Hi! Thanks for answering my questions. It really helped a lot. I just have one last question about this one. Where exactly can I find this. Is it like the same UI (e.g., add members) or I just do it directly in Rights?

1 Like