How to increase active installs of XWiki?

One idea to “promote” XWiki might be to increase visibility through other software vendors and/or projects for which integrations exist.

For example XWiki provides an OnlyOffice connector and so is also mentioned on the OnlyOffice page, but not very prominently. Maybe some closer collaboration or cooperation between OnlyOffice and XWiki SAS could be possible to improve XWiki visibility on their site.

The same could work for other existing or future integrations - let yourself be mentioned on the pages of other popular software, so XWiki can be found.

Also maybe try to get your packages included in popular Linux distributions - I found many software this way, just by browsing and searching my distributions’s package index.

Not sure how well all this will work, and some of t his may cost quite a bit of effort, but it’s just a few ideas from the top of my head…

Definitely a good idea.

I had the exact same comment for XWiki SAS. What I was told was that XWiki SAS had explored it already and the reason that some integrations are more highlighted than others on the OnlyOffice web site is because they are done by the OnlyOffice team themselves and they “sell” it. XWiki is in the connectors area with others external connectors: https://www.onlyoffice.com//fr/connectors.aspx . cc @SilviaMacovei about this since she’s in charge of paying apps at XWiki SAS and thus the OnlyOffice extension.

Yes, a good idea. Do you have specific sites where you think we could be listed?

Also a good idea but not easy to implement. See https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Drafts/IncreasingActiveInstalls/ where it’s listed as “Have XWiki bundled in some distributions (e.g. linux distributions)”. The hard part is getting started and knowing where XWiki could be added. If you have ideas, that would be great! @tmortagne suggested “Provide an XWiki package on the Snap Store (an app store for Linux supported by more and more distributions and the list is already impressive)”.

Keep them coming! The more specific the ideas, the more they can be put in action :slight_smile:

Thanks

Another idea:

You’re sales team probably already uses online advertising like Google Adwords and similar. If not however, this might be worth a shot. :wink:

Another idea may be to put up articles which mention XWiki in relation to other products and try to get them ranked high in search engines. I’m most definitely NOT talking about search engine spam, which is a red sign for me to stay as far away from the products advertised there as I can, but actual fair and insightful articles.

For example, I found XWiki when googling for “Confluence open source alternative”, where a comparative article from XWiki SAS is already ranked quite well. Maybe this could be extended with comparisons to other popular Wiki systems and competitors.

Concerning adding packages to Linux distributions, Snap is probably a good idea, even though I seem to be getting old-school and have not yet tried this “modern” stuff. :wink: I still see a risk of missing important security updates if every software bundles all stuff, somethink which at least with Docker images seems to be getting a real issue, but that’s totally unrelated to XWiki and thus doesn’t belong here. :wink:

You already have Debian packages, so maybe you could give it a try to make them “official” Debian packages. Downside is that Debian’s release cycles are quite lengthy, so this may require you to support pretty ancient versions of XWiki - at least with security updates. You could still nudge all users ending up in your forums with questions concerning the old versions in Debian to upgrade to a later release with your own official repo, which needs to provide an upgrade path for the official Debian packages, though.

In any case, with XWiki being included in Debian, chances are that it will also end up in Ubuntu quickly, at least in Universe / Multiverse.

Fedory / RHEL packages might also be an idea, as it’s the second “big” Linux ecosystem.

Regards,

Gunter

Well it’s exactly my case too actually but I see it proposed more and more in other projects when I want to install them. Native packages still are my reflex but maybe I’m just old and the good thing about snap is that it’s one package that (supposedly) works pretty much in all distributions.

There is a big constraint for it: all external dependencies of XWiki (a looot) must have their own package also in the official repository and Debian (and Linux distributions in general) contains very very few Java libraries packages unfortunately…

Hi,

Indeed, XWiki SAS has a partnership with OnlyOffice since last year. Their official technology partners are listed on the page you indicated. The XWiki SAS marketing team collaborates with OnlyOffice periodically to produce new content concerning this collaboration and we hope that it will be even more visible this year :slight_smile:

Silvia

Hi,

It’s a good point! Indeed, the XWiki SAS sales and marketing team use Google Ads and other similar advertising platforms to complement marketing efforts.

Thanks a lot for all the good ideas! I’ll make sure the marketing team at XWiki SAS also have a look. Lots of interesting suggestions.

Not sure it was mentioned already, but what about making it possible to order servers preinstalled with XWiki from hosting providers such as OVH. OVH proposes to deliver servers preinstalled with Drupal, Joomla, WordPress or Prestashop already. That’d be great imho to be able to get a server preinstalled with XWiki and fine tuned for it. This would not include the automated updates obviously, but that could make XWiki more well known, what do you think? Unless it’s the other way round and the hosting providers accept to preinstall servers only once the installation count is above a given treshold already…

There’s also a path of growth in making XWiki more well known as a platform for developers. I was surprised to see that Django – awesome framework as well – has 100x more stars than XWiki on GitHub: nearly 45000 Django stars, less than 500 XWiki stars at the time of writing. As discussed with @vmassol recently, we could start with renewing the architecture and development XWiki documentation pages and compare each XWiki service with other major development frameworks along specific axis. I’ll try to propose a draft along this line on dev.xwiki.org.

I’ve created a draft that reuses information already available on more specialized pages related to each listed module. The goal is 1) to present the XWiki platform in a way that can be easily compared, service by service, with other frameworks, 2) to be possibly an entry point to be added to the Wikipedia page about existing large web frameworks.

• Do you think such a page would be useful? (it’s a work in progress)
  • Would it make sense to create an XWiki class for attaching XWiki objects to each “top level” XWiki module so that such a page could be generated from the existing documentation pages?

Sure. The only question is the cost of developing and maintaining it. FTR there are several cloud providers supporting XWiki already in this way (I remember https://docs.jelastic.com/jelastic-xwiki-deploy but there are more - we should list them somewhere on xwiki.org). Of course, the more the merrier. The question is: who does the work and supports it. It takes a lot of time to support properly a new packaging (cf the docker one for example).

This was started at https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Drafts/XWikiHosting

Regarding OVH, a key question imho would be to know what packaging they expect, possibly the existing XWiki Debian packages are enough?

I’m having trouble with documentation abit.

What does this mean “You only have to run this command to install all the interesting components.”?

Indeed it’s not very precise and the doc could/should be improved.

cc @tmortagne

I’m not the author of that line but sure we could remove it since it’s not giving much information or repeat what is indicated in the description of the packages in the APT Configuration section.

Hi! Should I be able to access /ActiveInstalls link in this post? At least now, it is asking for identification. Thanks!

Hi @Ricardo_Rodriguez

Yes, the infra team has upgraded the OS and as a side effect, there’s now an authentication required. This is a bug and they’re looking into it. I’ll ping them again (I’ve already pinged them about 1-2 weeks ago but I didn’t get a specific date when this could be fixed, cc @khoarau ).

Sorry about this. Thx.

1 Like

The simple but honest main reason for our organisation (>400 office workers) to start integrating XWIKI is that we are not allowed to use cloud products and XWiki seems to be the most promising Confluence on-premise alternative in terms of user friendlyness (for “normal” everyday office users!!). Atlassians datacenter prices are not acceptable for us currently - but that will probably depend on how our users will accept XWiki.

In our organisation we in the IT department have quite the decission making capability and decide which exact solution will be implemented. The organisation wants an user friendly modern Wiki solution - we in the IT department decide how we fulfill that desire.
For making the willingness to integrate XWiki much higher, standard convinience things especially coupled with Windows Active Directory environments should become much easier and much better documented.
In my opinion it possibly scares it companys away, that to implement stuff like SSO they have to bring in external consultant companys just to build / configure SSO into XWiki. I understand fully that XWiki needs funding, but during the “demo” phase of testing possible solutions things should be easy as possible and costs should be low. But when companys are confronted very early on with quite some costs to implement convenience things, that are very often considered as “standard” by todays measure, people start to wonder why bothering with it at all instead of just simply using a wider known commercial solution.
We had exsactly such discussions internally and for exact this reason and to not kill the project, we decided to start our XWiki with the default XWiki authentication and without Active Directory coupled SSO and accept that this inconvencience will probably lead to less people tring and using XWiki. If our users are accepting XWiki in the long run, we will probably invest into things like SSO and so on, but this approach will definetly slow things. I as the admin am currently not feeling that the current SSO documentation would lead me to successfully configure SSO in a acceptable timeframe.

But what im most afraid will be keeping our users from actively using XWiki is, that even though the editing is in place WYSIWYG, many macros feel extremely fiddling to use and not at all “seamlessly” integrated.
As negative examples: The inline tasks of Task Manager (Pro) and many other macros feel like unfittingly thrown into the Editor: Super strange borders arround the macro, not at all “flowing” with the Text, users have to set where the stuff gets stored and so on.

In my opinion it is absolutely acceptable that very specific macros that are targeted to very “techy” people are not super convenient to use, as “techy” people will probably understand and accept how to use these macros anyways. But macros that are meant to be used by “normal everyday office users” should be super easy and fool-proof to use and feel seamlessly integrated into the editor and XWiki.

As positive examples:
The quick actions and the Mentions are very good changes to XWiki compared to how things were back a few years ago when we compared XWiki to Confluence Server. They now feel very good and quite “seamlessly” integrated. Also the design of XWiki keeps getting more modern and better, even small simple things like flattening the button design in 15.8 or changing the corner radius in 15.9 are improving the look very much and are signaling XWiki is getting better and better.

The most wanted feature for our users in XWiki definetly would be an stable realtime WYSIWYG collaborative editor, prefferably with in place editing.
In the long term also a modern block editor would be very nice - but it also should offer realtime / collaborative editing.

I don’t think XWiki really needs to put too much effort into advertising. If an (open source) software feels very good to use, the advertisement will be done by the end users themself.

2 Likes

@TomTheWise thank you for this feedback. It’s very useful.

The realtime WYSIWYG editor is on our roadmap. We hope to have a stable version in 15.10.x LTS.

Yes, we’re currently using CKEditor 4 which is not supported anymore (only paid support) so we’re discussing how to replace it and one option is indeed with a block editor. If you have suggestion in this area of good open source editors (block based or not), please tell us.

Thanks again,
Marius