Instance fails to start on restart of sever

Ok, I implemented the workaround, and this is looking good so far, although obviously I am going to have to observe this a bit before marking as answer.

Things I like about this as an answer:

1. Description of bug fits perfectly (although I’m not sure why this didn’t start much earlier, and I’m not sure I could tell you which version I updated from when I did.)
  2. Fits and explains the seemingly random pattern of “will it start or won’t it”, which I was seeing, which was something I was struggling to understand.

Things I am less sure of:

1. Why does Jetty make the problem less prevalent? (I know, its a race condition, almost anything could affect it)

But anyway, for the moment things are looking hopeful again - thanks again for the help so far, I will report back.

It’s a pretty tricky problem, and it’s very possible that the way Jetty loads the JARS in the webapp or the way it implements its Classloader makes it less impacted.

Marking the Solr race condition deadlock as the solution. I have seen no evidence of the problem since implementing the workaround, so will have to come back if it recurs!

Many thanks again @tmortagne for your guidance and help!