Wiki 3.0 Project name brainstorming

Eolas: meaning “knowledge” in Irish.

BTW, Anca noted that if we use Cristal or Crystal, when we modify existing apps to the new UI, then we can perform “Crystallization”, and also that the Crystal chemical structure is “well organized” like the information in a wiki !

Even more building block than Proton is Quark

So,

Crystal is interesting, but I would use it as “XWiki Crystal”. I would defnitely keep the XWiki name to it, I don’t think we need to / should brand the Wiki 3.0 as being a new product. It’s a very very strong refactoring of XWiki but it has the same functional objective and it’s the same team of people behind it. It’s more like… a different form of the same substance, which is, well, exactly what a crystal is. As Ludovic said, it’s also ‘well organized’, glass crystal is also shiny and clear. The “composed by small organized bits that are all well-defined and have a shape of their own” essence of a crystal also points towards the components system that we would want a core feature of this new stack.
Also, I think there can be some visuals possible around the X and a crystal shape form…

I don’t like the music of the word a lot, but I like “X-Wiki Crys-tal” and all this semantic behind it.
I’m not sure about the french orthography, though…

Thanks,
Anca

Also, XWiki Crystal would allow to make other things Crystal, like Filesystem Crystal, Cryptpad Crystal (although this is more of a diction exercise or a future Ubuntu distro name…), Offline Crystal, etc.

Hey! ^^

While I get that it would be nice to keep XWiki in the name for brand continuation, I’m thinking how it would sound when people are referring to our pricing plans (I will assume that wiki 3.0 will have more than 2 plans, free or pro). If we’d keep the same idea of pricing, it would be something like XWiki Crystal Platinum, for example. Of course, we can change the plan name, from Platinum to Red, for example, but it would still be XWiki Crystal Red. I’m not saying it’s not cool, but it’s kinda long.

We could assume people will only say Pro Platinum (we can even make sure in the UI), so that kind of solves the issue.

Another problem is that XWiki Crystal may sound like it itself is a pricing plan because we have at the moment XWiki Pro Platinum soooo XWiki Crystal may just sound like the next level of pricing

I fully agree with keeping the XWiki prefix in the name. I also see it as a new version of the same product (and thus a large refactoring).

I think dropping the XWiki name is diluting the brand, which may cost more than this confusion that it may create on the pricing plans. Maybe because Crystal sounds like a value measurement (like gold diamond silver, etc), maybe we should chose something else.
Also, I am really not sure of the different pricing plans thing, and that can be a question of communication at the moment when it will happen. Also, the pricing branding may be a limited concern (to only commercial offers around the product which will be an open source one).

The thing is, we’ve been working for 18 years on this brand (that we want people to recognize as a synonym to “open source collaboration in the enterprise”), it kept on getting up (to my knowledge) so now it’s as high as ever and we really have no reason to want to lose that and start from scratch.
The only reason I could think of where the brand XWiki may “hurt” is that people associate it with the current product, that maybe they tried and didn’t like, or maybe they think they already know what it is, because it has been around for so long. But I don’t think this drawback is worth the whole value of the brand, especially if we play correctly the card of making sure that we convey the “refactoring/rewrite” idea in the brand, along with XWiki.

This is only my opinion, though, anybody may have another one.

Thanks,
Anca

1 Like

XWiki SAS could use some Crystal names for the pricing plans: Ruby, Emerald, Diamond, … instead of Red Crystal :slight_smile:

I don’t think the name ‘Crystal’ would confuse too much if it gets some of its own pricing plans names, since it’s not a material in itself but a category of materials. Silver, gold and platinum are materials, crystal is just a pattern for some materials: salt, quartz, diamond (carbon pattern), …

And separating product iterations in different categories of materials is something a lot of people are already acquainted with thanks to this famous RPG franchise :upside_down_face:

Have a good day!
Lucas C.

1 Like

Fair enough, very good point ( and good ideas on the plans naming!)

I like XWiki Cristal, and Zora.