Blog translations are not saved

Last week I reported what I think is a bug in the blog application/extension: https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/BLOG-175

Just to be sure it is not my poor understanding I’d like people to try and reproduce this problem and confirm/deny this actually is a bug.

1. Create a blog
  2. Create a blog-post
  3. Configure XWiki to be multiligual
  4. On the information tab (bottom page) click on the desired translation
  5. Edit the page to be translated
  6. Save the page
  7. Notice the changes (translation) did not save.
  8. Delete the (not yet) translated page

Thanks!

Hi, the problem is most probably the fact that the Blog application doesn’t use the page title and content to store the blog post title and content. It uses instead object properties. There’s a BlostPostClass object attached to the blog post page that holds the blog post title and content. And objects are not translatable ATM. They are shared by all page translations. See:

The title and content of a wiki page can be translated in multiple locales.

Hello!

We are on 15.10 and it looks like blog translations now save. We can select ‘translate this page’, create the translated version, and see an option in the drawer menu to toggle between the translated versions by selecting language.

I see the BLOG-175 Jira ticket is still open, so just wanted to check.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thus, can we conclude that objects are currently translatable?

No you can check Loading... for a follow up on this. It’s never been a priority in our roadmap so we never implemented a solution for this.

OMG! I commented on this Jira issue 14 years ago! I will keep following it up!

1 Like

I’m reporting back to say we realized that the reason it looked like we could translate our blogposts was because we had selected the ‘Create’ button that results in a page, not a blogpost.

It’s a bit confusing (and I am sure it will be for our future users as well) that there are two ‘create’ buttons for the blog application; one of which creates a page (translatable), and one that creates a blog post (not translatable). Is there a way to make this distinction more clear? I expect that for users who are used to creating pages from the main +Create button, they may default to selecting that button over the Blog create button further down on the page.

Test Blog

1 Like