Can't log in via ldap, no info available

hi all, I have configured the LDAP login, but I cannot log in any more. the problem is that there are no logs available - I don’t see logs in the log files (/usr/local/tomcat/logs), in the container output (it’s running on k8s), or within XWiki itself.

so the basic question is - how can I find out why I cannot log in any more?

Do you have any kind of XWiki log in there ?

sure, a lot:

• catalina.2019-01-07.log
  • host-manager.2019-01-07.log
  • localhost.2019-01-07.log
  • localhost_access_log.2019-06-11.txt

the only current one is localhost_access.

This file name looks like a log of the input request but not the actual logs produced by the application.

At startup XWiki log a few things all the time, the first thing usually being something like

INFO o.x.e.i.ServletEnvironment - Using permanent directory [data]

Do you have that ?

nope. grep ServletEn * yielded no results in /usr/local/tomcat/logs.

okay, to be precise: I get a LOT of logs from the container output, just nothing when a login fails. :confused:

Then it seems application log is somewhere else.

my idea is: the app log is on stdout. BUT the “login failed” information is not logged. so the idea would be to verify this assumption … any ideas how to?

It is from application point of view but Tomcat is supposed to redirect it to a log file.

Well first you need to get XWiki log in general since you don’t seems to have it at all right now.

maybe I have: I grepped over the stdout output from the container, and this is the result:

$ kubectl logs -f xwiki-main-0 | grep ServletEn
2019-01-07 15:51:49,077 [localhost-startStop-1] INFO  o.x.e.i.ServletEnvironment     - Using permanent directory [/usr/local/xwiki/data]```

Looks like it, so if you found the right file then you need to make sure you enabled debug log for the LDAP module, see https://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/LDAP/Authenticator/#HEnableLDAPdebuglog. It should end up in the same file.

will try, thanks!! :slight_smile: