Committership revisited

Hi devs,

At Committership - XWiki we have a list of duties and responsibilities for committers. While this was probably good in the early days of XWiki, it seems it’s impossible for any committer to fulfill these duties nowadays and I’m sending this vote to change the wording.

Current:

• Committers must watch everything that goes in the source repository and ensure it’s of good quality and matches with the direction of the project

New proposal:

• Committers must do a best effort of watching everything that goes in the source repository and ensure it’s of good quality and matches with the direction of the project

Current:

• Committers accept Pull Requests (PRs) from contributors (through JIRA), review them and when they are satisfied the quality and relevance are good enough, apply them.

New proposal:

• Committers must do a best effort of accepting Pull Requests (PRs) from contributors (through JIRA), reviewing them and when they are satisfied the quality and relevance are good enough, applying them.

Current:

• Committers have a duty of following and participating to the XWiki discussions and answering when there are votes posted (identified with the vote tag in the forum topic). See the voting section below.

New proposal:

• Committers must do a best effort of following and participating to the XWiki discussions. They must answer when there are votes posted (identified with the vote tag in the forum topic). See the voting section below.

Current:

• Committers can (and should) propose to vote in new committers when they identify a contributor they judge adequate for the role. In which case they should send a vote to the forum (identified by a vote tag), proposing the new committer and explaining why that person is fit to become a committer in their opinion.

New proposal:

• Committers can (and should) propose to vote in new committers when they identify a contributor they judge adequate for the role. In which case they should send a vote to the committers list, proposing the new committer and explaining why that person is fit to become a committer in their opinion.

Current:

New proposal:

Here’s my +1 to these proposals.

Please cast your votes.

Thanks

+1 from my side.

I wonder why Jira is mentioned regarding pull requests even though they are handled through GitHub, I think we should use the occasion to update this.

+1, Thanks

+1

The wording is indeed strange, but I guess it’s to highlight the fact that the reference is the Jira issue on which, among other things, you can find the link to the PR on github and the status of this PR (waiting for committer feedback, etc.).

+1

Thanks,
Alex

+1

Thanks,
Marius

+1 thanks

Yes, it looks like a leftover from the time when we were not using PRs and attaching diff patches to JIRA issues. I’ll remove it.

Done: Committership - XWiki