Cristal search page

Issue: Loading...

Hey everyone, here are some wireframes for the search page results for Cristal. As you can see they are very similar from the ones in XWiki as the search page is very efficient there.

Some minor differences exist and were also proposed to be changed in XS in this discussion: Improvements on the Search page

The biggest change from current XS is the selection of sorting options. In XS they are selected directly but here I am proposing a popover menu. This is for screen space reasons but also to better scale in case new sorting options are created in the future.

Other changes are minor, mostly in the visual aspect but are better explained in the discussion pointed above =)

Images for reference:

search page 01

Sort selection menu

search page 02

Filters disabled

search page 03

Filters and highlights disabled

search page 04

As always, feel free to give your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks!

Hello again!

Apart from things that might be in common from the proposal on XWiki on search improvements, I have some very small separate comments on this Cristal version:

The dark panel

The Filter panel feels very dark in comparison to the rest of the components I’ve seen so far. I understand it will be affected by different themes so we can play on that later, but I thought it’s worth mentioning if this will be the main/default theme of Cristal.

Pagination at the top

While I understand having the pagination at the top would clutter a bit the interface, unfortunately it might be better to still keep it at the top AND at the bottom.

There are times when I’m searching for something and I remember from a previous search that that page is on page 3. In XS, pagination is at the top so I just click 2 times on the next button and there I am. In your version for Cristal, I’d have to scroll till the end of the page to be able to choose the page.

An alternative would be just to load results as the user scrolls and have no concept of pages. If the user is scrolling till the end of the page, he is for sure not happy with results → he wants more.

Another approach

What I had in mind for Cristal’s search was to be somehow more like Confluence’s.

• A pop-up that doesn’t take the user away from his original content or makes them open it in another tab
  • Pretty much merge advanced search with quick search

If this was already discussed, and it is not feasible, ignore my comment :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your use case, it makes sense. I will adapt these wireframes with this in mind.

Eventually we will have the quick search panel in Cristal, but it’s not in MVP.

1 Like

Nice, glad we’ll have it at some point! :partying_face:

LGTM, thanks