Debugging in eclipse

Hi,

I am new to the XWiki project and would like to ask for some help how I could debug the freshly pulled code. I followed the instructions on https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/DebugXWikiWithEclipse/ , but at the end of the process, when I need to start the server, I get the following error:
Starting preview server on port 8080

Modules:
xwiki-debug-eclipse (/xwiki)

2019-03-18 08:38:17.870:INFO::main: Logging initialized @1955ms to org.eclipse.jetty.util.log.StdErrLog
2019-03-18 08:38:18.096:INFO:oejs.Server:main: jetty-9.4.14.v20181113; built: 2018-11-14T15:35:30.162Z; git: 8c3198a72f04a52b29398242b762a4c81d8cc7d1; jvm 1.8.0_201-b09
2019-03-18 08:40:12.285:INFO:oejw.StandardDescriptorProcessor:main: NO JSP Support for /xwiki, did not find org.eclipse.jetty.jsp.JettyJspServlet
2019-03-18 08:40:12.291:WARN:oejw.WebAppContext:main: Failed startup of context o.e.j.w.WebAppContext@272ed83b java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.IterativeDescriptorProcessor.visit(IterativeDescriptorProcessor.java:84)
at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.IterativeDescriptorProcessor.process(IterativeDescriptorProcessor.java:71)
at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.MetaData.resolve(MetaData.java:409)
at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.startContext(WebAppContext.java:1457)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doStart(ContextHandler.java:852)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletContextHandler.doStart(ServletContextHandler.java:278)
at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.doStart(WebAppContext.java:545)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:68)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.start(ContainerLifeCycle.java:138)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.doStart(ContainerLifeCycle.java:117)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.AbstractHandler.doStart(AbstractHandler.java:113)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:68)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.start(ContainerLifeCycle.java:138)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.start(Server.java:415)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.doStart(ContainerLifeCycle.java:108)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.AbstractHandler.doStart(AbstractHandler.java:113)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.doStart(Server.java:382)
at org.eclipse.wst.server.preview.internal.PreviewStarter.run(PreviewStarter.java:72)
at org.eclipse.wst.server.preview.internal.PreviewStarter.main(PreviewStarter.java:29)
Caused by:
java.lang.ClassCastException: org.eclipse.wst.server.preview.internal.WTPErrorHandler cannot be cast to org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ErrorPageErrorHandler
at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.StandardDescriptorProcessor.visitErrorPage(StandardDescriptorProcessor.java:1127)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.IterativeDescriptorProcessor.visit(IterativeDescriptorProcessor.java:84)
at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.IterativeDescriptorProcessor.process(IterativeDescriptorProcessor.java:71)
at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.MetaData.resolve(MetaData.java:409)
at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.startContext(WebAppContext.java:1457)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doStart(ContextHandler.java:852)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletContextHandler.doStart(ServletContextHandler.java:278)
at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.doStart(WebAppContext.java:545)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.doStart(ContainerLifeCycle.java:117)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.start(Server.java:415)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.doStart(ContainerLifeCycle.java:108)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.doStart(Server.java:382)
at org.eclipse.wst.server.preview.internal.PreviewStarter.run(PreviewStarter.java:72)
at org.eclipse.wst.server.preview.internal.PreviewStarter.main(PreviewStarter.java:29)
2019-03-18 08:40:12.330:INFO:oejs.AbstractConnector:main: Started ServerConnector@932bc4a{HTTP/1.1,[http/1.1]}{0.0.0.0:8080}
2019-03-18 08:40:12.331:INFO:oejs.Server:main: Started @116485ms

What am I missing here?
Thanks for the help in advance!

This looks like a Jetty specific error. I only tested this setup with Tomcat so not really sure what could be your issues here

Does not seems to have anything to do with XWiki at least. Maybe some incompatibility between Eclipse WTP and the version of Jetty you are trying to use.

I will give it a try with Tomcat and will let you know if that was the problem.
Thanks for the quick response! :slight_smile:

Using Tomcat seems to have solved the problem. Thanks again!