Distribution Wizard Not Being Displayed Correctly For New Installation

Hi All,

As you can see from the following image, I encountered a problem with the visual of distribution wizard. Only texts is being displayed on the page.

From the logs, I could see multiple similar errors that lead to ‘java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: com.xpn.xwiki.web.XWikiResponse.setContentLengthLong(J)V’.

Sample log:

2020-04-19 03:27:32,749 [http://—redacted—/xwiki/bin/skin/skins/flamingo/style.css?cache-version=12.2.1&skin=fla
com.xpn.xwiki.XWikiException: Error number 0 in 11: Uncaught exception
at com.xpn.xwiki.web.XWikiAction.execute(XWikiAction.java:587)
at com.xpn.xwiki.web.XWikiAction.execute(XWikiAction.java:250)
at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processActionPerform(RequestProcessor.java:425)
at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:228)
at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1913)
at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doGet(ActionServlet.java:449)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:624)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:731)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:303)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:208)
at com.xpn.xwiki.web.ActionFilter.doFilter(ActionFilter.java:112)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:241)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:208)
at org.xwiki.wysiwyg.filter.ConversionFilter.doFilter(ConversionFilter.java:109)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:241)
at org.xwiki.container.servlet.filters.internal.SetHTTPHeaderFilter.doFilter(SetHTTPHeaderFilter.java:63)
at org.xwiki.container.servlet.filters.internal.SavedRequestRestorerFilter.doFilter(SavedRequestRestorerFilter.jav
at org.xwiki.container.servlet.filters.internal.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.jav
at org.xwiki.resource.servlet.RoutingFilter.doFilter(RoutingFilter.java:132)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:218)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:110)
at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:498)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:169)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:103)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:962)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:116)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:445)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1091)
at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:637)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:316)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: com.xpn.xwiki.web.XWikiResponse.setContentLengthLong(J)V
at com.xpn.xwiki.web.XWikiAction.setContentLength(XWikiAction.java:1115)
at com.xpn.xwiki.web.SkinAction.setupHeaders(SkinAction.java:522)
at com.xpn.xwiki.web.SkinAction.setupHeaders(SkinAction.java:497)
at com.xpn.xwiki.web.SkinAction.renderFileFromFilesystem(SkinAction.java:299)
at com.xpn.xwiki.web.SkinAction.renderSkin(SkinAction.java:248)
at com.xpn.xwiki.web.SkinAction.render(SkinAction.java:132)
at com.xpn.xwiki.web.SkinAction.render(SkinAction.java:83)
at com.xpn.xwiki.web.XWikiAction.execute(XWikiAction.java:560)
… 42 common frames omitted

I am using tomcat version 7.0.76-11 on CentOS.

I would really appreciate it if you could give me some advises on getting this issue resolved.

Hi, this seems to indicate that you’re using a Servlet Container with a too old version of the Servlet API. We require 3.1+, see https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/AdminGuide/Installation/#HHardwareandSoftwarerequirements

What are you using?

Thanks

If I had to guess, I’d say you’re writing to use XWiki on Tomcat 7.x.

Hi, thanks for replying.

I am using tomcat version 7.0.76-11 package from CentOS official repository. Figured it might be easier to manage tomcat updates/patches with YUM in future.

FTR I’ve noticed a bug in our web.xml which was still saying that we were requiring Servlet 3.0. It’s now fixed, see Loading.... However, it seems Tomcat 7 doesn’t check it since it doesn’t fail to deploy XWiki :wink: Anyway, you need Tomcat 8+. See also https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/AdminGuide/Installation/InstallationWAR/InstallationTomcat/

Thanks. I will re-setup with tomcat version 9.0.34 (core) distribution from Apache Tomcat official website instead then.

Get back to you with the results.

Been a long day trying to get this up and running. Was previously using MariaDB, took me half a day to find the cause and found out XWiki are incompatible with it. Re-setup to run with mysql and now this. :sweat_smile:

Nice. Got the issue resolved with the latest Tomcat 9.

Thanks a lot for your assistance in this.

This is not correct. XWiki works very well on MariaDB.

BTW it seems you’re choosing the manual installs which require knowledge in Servlet Containers and DBs. This is the most complex install. It’s easier if you pick the other ones such as the Debian one or the docker one. You’d be up in minutes! Just saying :slight_smile:

Strange, I could not get it working with MariaDB package provided by official CentOS repository.

The distribution wizard will not load with ‘nullpointerexception’ error. Wished I took a screenshot of the error message but I didn’t. I only managed to get it working with MySQL though.

I took the plunge to spend some more time to make the switch when I saw MariaDB listed as unsupported in https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/SupportStrategy/DatabaseSupportStrategy.

Noted on this. Thanks for the advice. :smiley: