Extensions page won't load, request hangs


page never loads and never reports a 404 or anything. It just hangs on loading with “browser spinning”.

Every other page and Global Administration page loads very quickly with no problem.

I installed a fresh XWIki recently on a test node and the extensions page loads fine. So I know our production XWiki is in trouble in particular.

Does anyone know the first thing I can look at in such a situation?


General questions to ask oneself/report:

  • What version of XWiki?
  • have you cleaned your browser cache just in case?
  • what error message do you have in xwiki logzs (google for how to find it if you don’t know where it is)?
  • what error message do you have in the browser javascript console?

Now in your case this page queries extensions.xwiki.org and you could be behind an auth proxy and you forgot to pass the credentials, so it’s waiting to time out.


1 Like

Thank you for these steps!

XWiki 12.4 -> Upgrade planned but we just did an update recently.

Started fresh in Firefox, had been using Chrome. So verified issue occurs in both browsers.

The javascript console never shows anything for the page because it never loads. The request just hangs.

Which log should I look for? I had a look at settings and there are 153 pages of of Logger logs that I can adjust their logging levels for.

Hi I finally processed what you said about http://extensions.xwiki.org/

Our wiki is not connected to internet. How can I load the extensions page for offline wikis?

I would like to formally request for a “No internet” warning frame/page instead of XWiki hanging when going to the Extensions page.
I am beginning to imagine this is why my upgrade failed as well. So I guess this request is also for the distribution wizard. Does the distribution wizard demand an internet connection as well?

Why is it assumed that the wiki is connected to the internet? Whichever class is processing the request for the page is allowed to hang because it can’t get to the xwiki website.

Because that’s how you configured your wiki :slight_smile: (or rather having an internet connection is the default so that it works OOB). If you don’t have internet connection then you need to configure your wiki to remove the extension repositories.

Basically you need to read the installation doc page at https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/AdminGuide/Installation/ and specifically https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/AdminGuide/Installation/#HExtensionRepositories

Side note for @tmortagne: We need to make the Extension page async.

1 Like

You don’t have this kind of problem anymore with the local index (the default since 12.10).