Fastest way to enable HTTPS on Windows with Standard/Demo Install (Jetty)

Hi,

I’m desperately looking for a step-by-step guide on how to enable SSL (HTTPS) with the XWiki standard or demo installation under Windows (using all the defaults from the ZIP, like Jetty etc.).

The XWiki documentation is awesome but is has a bit of a hole where it comes to Jetty and the standard/demo setup, so I was hoping that somebody here could guide me through this.

My setup is: Windows Server, Java (AdoptOpenJDK 11) and the “xwiki-platform-distribution-flavor-jetty-hsqldb-13.0.zip”.
My goal is to have the wiki simply be available at https://ipaddress:443, point to a self-signed .crt and a .key file (or whatever is required) in a config file and be done with it.

I know they say that this isn’t for production use but I’m trying to do a very small-scale demo setup only and it would still be nice to have HTTPS enabled for that. It’s just so convenient, unpacking the ZIP, clicking the batch file and you’re good to go and can focus on the Wiki instead of administering a full-blown server system.

I know there are options with running a reverse proxy or running tomcat etc. but to me that just adds overhead, complexity and maintenance requirements that I don’t want on this system (I basically want it as portable as possible) and to be honest, I don’t have the time or in-depth knowledge to set this up. I just want to focus on creating awesome Wiki content :wink:

So I hope someone can help guide me through this. I’d appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you!

I can sympathize with your desire to have it running quickly, but the demo setup isn’t really designed to do what you are asking.

I think in the long run you are better off doing a “proper” install using your own database and servlet container. I personally use PostgreSQL and Tomcat and it’s really not that difficult to set up.

To help you along the way, I produced some training videos that show how to install on Windows:

Install PostgreSQL - Installing PostgreSQL on Windows using SSPI - YouTube

Install Tomcat and XWiki - Installing XWiki on Windows - YouTube

Install AD domain certificate in Tomcat - Installing a Windows Domain Certificate in Apache Tomcat - YouTube

Hopefully these videos can help answer some of your questions.

Regards,

Bill