Fully automated xwiki update

Hello Guy’s

I want to know what is the best way, to fully automate the xwiki update process.
I’m running xwiki in tomcat using the .war file.
To update xwiki, I was just downloading a the latest .war.
I backuped my old xwiki directory inside the webapps folder and replaced it with the new
.war package. After this I was editing all the config files according to my setup and restarting tomcat.
When I upgraded from xwiki 13.1 to 13.2, in the browser a wizard showed up, and I had to do some
steps to update the flavour.
When I updated from xwiki 13.2 to xwiki 13.3 there was no wizard and it just worked.
I would like to fully automate the update process.
In which case is the wizard showing up?
Is there a way to prevent xwiki from showing the wizard?
Or is there maybe an even better way to update xwiki?

I hope that explanation was understandable :wink:

Hi, 2 easy solutions I can think of:

• use the APT packaging and then you just need to do apt upgrade
  • use the docker packaging and then you don’t need to do anything except start the new version

See https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/AdminGuide/Upgrade

ofc you always need to read the release notes in case there are backward incompatibility changes requiring manual changes.

The quick answer is: when it’s needed normally :slight_smile: But I think it always shows up, maybe @tmortagne knows more and it’s possible there’s a config to avoid having it show up when not necessary.

As usual documentation is the best place :slight_smile: See Distribution Wizard (XWiki.org)

It’s always needed, and it always shows up because you always need to upgrade the flavor.

Ok, thanks for that quick reply.
I’ll try the docker package and see how it works for me :slight_smile:

Note that the packagings have no impact on the DW but they can help upgrade for the rest.

Ok, that makes sense.
So if I set
distribution.job.interactive=false
the wizard shouldn’t appear and xwiki should upgrade the flavor automatically right?
That seams the be more the behavior that I want.
Thanks again :slight_smile: