Since GSoC 2021 has ended, I would like to list out the things which I have completed in the XWiki AWS integration Project
- I started by finalizing the system design for production-based installations on AWS by discussing it with Sachin Chopra and created the design wiki for the same: https://design.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Proposal/Elastic%20Compute%20Cloud-based%20Amazon%20Machine%20Image%20for%20XWiki/
- After this I Worked on CDK code to deploy XWiki demo/test (with a portable database (HSQLDB) and a lightweight Java container (Jetty)) instance on the user’s AWS account. This will require the user to install CLI and use the command line. The pull request for the same is here https://github.com/xwiki-contrib/aws/pull/6
- Wrote CDK code for easy installation of XWiki production-ready instance (with MySQL Database), with easy to edit config file to change XWiki version and AWS region according to user’s need. This installation method will require to use AWS Command Line Interface. related pull requests can be found here XAWS-5: Added CDK code for configuring production XWiki with MySQL in AWS account by sanchita141011 · Pull Request #8 and XAWS-8 Added and comments removed typing errors by sanchita141011 · Pull Request #10 · xwiki-contrib/aws · GitHub</
- Then for providing an easier installation method, I Made AWS cloudformation template for XWiki installation using AWS console. This installation method won’t require AWS Command Line Interface and can be done in few clicks, by taking user-chosen version XWiki as parameter input. This was done for people with not much technical knowledge to install XWiki without installing anything on the local machine and just by using the AWS console.
- I Made Amazon Machine Image from EC2 instance running production XWiki (Had to do this because of constraints provided by AWS marketplace). The AMI was not published to the marketplace due to concerns regarding ownership of the project due to credit card requirements for AWS account to publish the AMI from. The AMI has been created in the XWiki SAS AWS account. The AMI has been tested and verified by AWS team for security issues, and the XWiki SAS can take it further as per their requirements.
- Made Documentation explaing the project and user guide providing step-by-step guide to deploy XWiki by using cloudformation template and CDK code. This can be found here https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/AdminGuide/Installation/XWiki%20Installation%20on%20AWS/
for CDK code step by step guide https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/AdminGuide/Installation/XWiki%20Installation%20on%20AWS/Deployment%20Using%20CDK%20Code/ and for cloudformation template the step-by-step guide Deployment Using Cloudformation Template (XWiki.org)
- Then I Made videos explaining each method and step to deploy XWiki using both installation methods that is CDK code and cloudformation template to put on XWiki’s youtube channel to provide better visibility. The drive folder link for the videos: xwiki – Google Drive
- Finally, The blog the post about this fun and learning journey I had with XWiki in the last few months. https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/GSoC%202021%20With%20XWiki%20For%20XWiki-AWS%20Integration/
Also, I would like to thank to all the community members for helping me out whenever i got stuck, especially @sachin10101998 , @vmassol , @ginpachi , @tmortagne , @caubin , @Enygma and @ludovic