XWiki 12.10RC1 comes with the new local extension index and uses it by default.
The idea of the new index is to regularly gather extensions from configured searchable extensions repositories and check their compatibility (try to create install plans) on each active namespace (the root namespace and initialized wikis namespaces right now).
For 12.1RC1 my focus for the UI was on getting only compatible recommended extensions by default but still make easy to switch on/off those new features (use the index and filter on compatible extensions) in case of problems since it’s still very young and even when everything goes according to plan you still have an unavoidable delay related to how often you refresh the index and how long it takes to validate a complex extension (for example the very first indexing has to create an install plan for about 600 extensions on two namespaces so it can take a little while).
Since I did not had much time I also tried to limit as much as possible the modifications to the existing UI.
So the current UI indicates when the last indexing was done, if one is currently running (by displaying the progress when one is currently running) and allow you to force a new one. It also gives the possibility to switch on/off:
- filter recommended extensions (not new but the way to do it changed a bit to be consistent with the new switches)
- use the index (as opposed to directly search on the configured repositories)
- filter compatible extensions
The point of this topic is to use this as basis and discuss possible improvements to this UI (with the disclaimer that I definitely don’t have time for any complex UI refactoring).