Hope all of you are doing great.
I had some ideas for 2020’s GSoC projects so I wanted to share them.
1. Advancement of Livetable - Extension
Livetable is probably the most used XWiki extension. It’s great as it is now but there are some upgrades that can be done to enable more customization for styling table data.
These advancements could be in the form of,
- Adding options for displaying only a single search bar for all data
- Making only certain columns searchable and don’t display other columns search box
- Adding Solr search like filter options for data, there can be a full filter mechanism for tables
- Options for changing and defining table-specific themes
- Improving the table’s responsive behavior, finding ways for better displaying tables on mobile platforms
- Adding icon support for delete, view or any other action
- Other improvements can be suggested by the students
2. Improvement of Excel Plugin - Extension
Excel plugin is pretty old but it can be very useful for certain firms who make use of Microsoft Office tools.
The project’s activities could be,
- Adding support for the newer XLSX format
- Importing options for getting the excel sheet as a livetable in XWiki
- Creating XWiki objects with the imported data and manipulating them
- Merging multiple sheets
- Displaying multiple sheets within an excel file as tabbed content in XWiki
3. Mailing Assistant Application
Easy to configure contact forms is where this idea originates from. I didn’t find any plugin in XWiki that could be easily used for creating a contact form. This could probably be done using velocity but having an easy to use UI for configuring options for such applications is necessary for the users.
Application’s functions could include,
- UI based creation of contact forms
- Macro for including the contact form on any XWiki page
- Other possible features could be suggested by the students
4. Interactive Maps Application Macro (?) - Extension
Not sure if this could suffice as a 3 months long project. Integration of some leaflet plugins can also be a part of this.
Please let me know your thoughts on these ideas.
Also, I would like to mentor a project with XWiki in GSoC '20. If there is something that should be done to be a mentor, please let me know.