In what version should I update my 13.10.4 version ? 14.10.9 or 15.3?

Hello,
I’m confused because I see that that there are currently 2 versions : 14.10.9 and 15.3 . My on premise xwiki is in 13.10.4, what version should I take to update it ?
Thank you for your help
Catherine

Check Download XWiki (XWiki.org) for more information.

They’re either the LTS or the Stable version.

you should not let your installation get too old as it gets harder to update your installation over time.

update to 14.10.9 first, and then consider upgrading to 15.3 only after you have verified that everything is working properly.

make sure you have backups in case you have a problem upgrading.

2 Likes

Hello, when I try to update to 14.10.10, when starting docker xwiki-web, I obtain this log:

#
# There is insufficient memory for the Java Runtime Environment to continue.
# Cannot create worker GC thread. Out of system resources.
# Can not save log file, dump to screen..
#
# There is insufficient memory for the Java Runtime Environment to continue.
# Cannot create worker GC thread. Out of system resources.
# Possible reasons:
# The system is out of physical RAM or swap space
# The process is running with CompressedOops enabled, and the Java Heap may be blocking the growth of the native heap
# Possible solutions:
# Reduce memory load on the system
# Increase physical memory or swap space
# Check if swap backing store is full
# Decrease Java heap size (-Xmx/-Xms)
# Decrease number of Java threads
# Decrease Java thread stack sizes (-Xss)
# Set larger code cache with -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=
# JVM is running with Unscaled Compressed Oops mode in which the Java heap is
# placed in the first 4GB address space. The Java Heap base address is the
# maximum limit for the native heap growth. Please use -XX:HeapBaseMinAddress
# to set the Java Heap base and to place the Java Heap above 4GB virtual address.
# This output file may be truncated or incomplete.
#
# Out of Memory Error (workerManager.hpp:70), pid=1, tid=1
#
# JRE version: (11.0.19+7) (build )
# Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (11.0.19+7, mixed mode, sharing, tiered, compressed oops, g1 gc, linux-amd64)
# Core dump will be written. Default location: Core dumps may be processed with "/usr/share/apport/apport -p%p -s%s -c%c -d%d -P%P -u%u -g%g -- %E" (or dumping to /usr/local/tomcat/core.1)
#
--------------- S U M M A R Y ------------
Command Line: -Xmx4096m -XX:PermSize=64m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m --add-opens=java.base/java.lang=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/[java.io](http://java.io/)=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/java.util=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/java.util.concurrent=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.rmi/sun.rmi.transport=ALL-UNNAMED -Djava.util.logging.config.file=/usr/local/tomcat/conf/logging.properties -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager -Xmx1024m -Dorg.apache.tomcat.util.buf.UDecoder.ALLOW_ENCODED_SLASH=true -Dorg.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.ALLOW_BACKSLASH=true -Djava.security.egd=file:/dev/./urandom -Djdk.tls.ephemeralDHKeySize=2048 -Djava.protocol.handler.pkgs=org.apache.catalina.webresources -Dorg.apache.catalina.security.SecurityListener.UMASK=0027 -Dignore.endorsed.dirs= -Dcatalina.base=/usr/local/tomcat -Dcatalina.home=/usr/local/tomcat -Djava.io.tmpdir=/usr/local/tomcat/temp org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start

I add have added the parameter -Xmx4096m in the docker environment but we can can see in the log the line : Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager -Xmx1024m -
and I don’t know where this parameter -Xmx1024m - comes from
and the docker does not start.
Does somebody know what happen and what I have to do ?
Thanks
Catherine

update: we have succeeded in removing the -Xmx1024m but we still have the same issue with -Xmx4096m

update: it was an issue of compatibility between the docker and Unbuntu 22.04 (Linux OS of server)
now it works !
Catherine

1 Like