Intermittent Timeouts on nexus.xwiki.org

I’m trying to install xwiki with the standard flavor set, but I have been running into timeouts coming from nexus.xwiki.org for the past hour or so. Because of this, I have been unable to proceed through the installation wizard.

Unexpected error when trying to find extension dependency [javax.websocket:javax.websocket-api-1.1] in repository [maven-xwiki:maven:https://nexus.xwiki.org/nexus/content/groups/public]: SocketTimeoutException: Connect timed out
Failed to install optional dependency [org.xwiki.platform:xwiki-platform-export-pdf-ui-16.2.0] with error: SocketTimeoutException: Connect timed out

I don’t seem to be having problems with other sites being slow or timing out, so I think it is limited to nexus.xwiki.org.

I’m running the xwiki:16.2.0-postgres-tomcat docker image.

EDIT:

The first error that happens at the top of the installplan follows. It also points to a timeout but it contains more info that might be helpful.

1 problem was encountered while building the effective model for org.xwiki.platform:xwiki-platform-distribution-flavor-mainwiki:16.2.0 [FATAL] Non-resolvable parent POM for org.xwiki.platform:xwiki-platform-distribution-flavor-mainwiki:16.2.0: The following artifacts could not be resolved: org.xwiki.platform:xwiki-platform-distribution-flavor:pom:16.2.0 (absent): Could not transfer artifact org.xwiki.platform:xwiki-platform-distribution-flavor:pom:16.2.0 from/to maven-xwiki (https://nexus.xwiki.org/nexus/content/groups/public): Connect to nexus.xwiki.org:443 [nexus.xwiki.org/92.222.135.198] failed: Connect timed out and 'parent.relativePath' points at wrong local POM @
class org.xwiki.extension.ResolveException: Failed to create Maven model
    at org.xwiki.extension.repository.aether.internal.AetherExtensionRepository.resolveMaven(AetherExtensionRepository.java:576)
    at org.xwiki.extension.repository.aether.internal.AetherExtensionRepository.resolveMaven(AetherExtensionRepository.java:547)
    at org.xwiki.extension.repository.aether.internal.AetherExtensionRepository.resolveMaven(AetherExtensionRepository.java:540)
    at org.xwiki.extension.repository.aether.internal.AetherExtensionRepository.resolve(AetherExtensionRepository.java:338)
    at org.xwiki.extension.repository.internal.DefaultExtensionRepositoryManager.resolve(DefaultExtensionRepositoryManager.java:285)
    at org.xwiki.extension.job.internal.AbstractInstallPlanJob.resolveExtension(AbstractInstallPlanJob.java:899)
    at org.xwiki.extension.job.internal.AbstractInstallPlanJob.installExtension(AbstractInstallPlanJob.java:854)
    at org.xwiki.extension.job.internal.AbstractInstallPlanJob.installExtension(AbstractInstallPlanJob.java:317)
    at org.xwiki.extension.job.internal.AbstractInstallPlanJob.installExtension(AbstractInstallPlanJob.java:285)
    at org.xwiki.extension.job.internal.AbstractInstallPlanJob.start(AbstractInstallPlanJob.java:208)
    at org.xwiki.extension.job.internal.InstallPlanJob.runInternal(InstallPlanJob.java:74)
    at org.xwiki.job.AbstractJob.runInContext(AbstractJob.java:246)
    at org.xwiki.job.AbstractJob.run(AbstractJob.java:223)
    at org.xwiki.extension.job.internal.InstallJob.runInternal(InstallJob.java:98)
    at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: class org.apache.maven.model.building.ModelBuildingException: 1 problem was encountered while building the effective model for org.xwiki.platform:xwiki-platform-distribution-flavor-mainwiki:16.2.0
[FATAL] Non-resolvable parent POM for org.xwiki.platform:xwiki-platform-distribution-flavor-mainwiki:16.2.0: The following artifacts could not be resolved: org.xwiki.platform:xwiki-platform-distribution-flavor:pom:16.2.0 (absent): Could not transfer artifact org.xwiki.platform:xwiki-platform-distribution-flavor:pom:16.2.0 from/to maven-xwiki (https://nexus.xwiki.org/nexus/content/groups/public): Connect to nexus.xwiki.org:443 [nexus.xwiki.org/92.222.135.198] failed: Connect timed out and 'parent.relativePath' points at wrong local POM @ 

at org.apache.maven.model.building.DefaultModelProblemCollector.newModelBuildingException(DefaultModelProblemCollector.java:176)
    at org.apache.maven.model.building.DefaultModelBuilder.readParentExternally(DefaultModelBuilder.java:1033)
    at org.apache.maven.model.building.DefaultModelBuilder.readParent(DefaultModelBuilder.java:801)
    at org.apache.maven.model.building.DefaultModelBuilder.build(DefaultModelBuilder.java:327)
    at org.apache.maven.model.building.DefaultModelBuilder.build(DefaultModelBuilder.java:243)
    at org.xwiki.extension.repository.aether.internal.AetherExtensionRepository.createModel(AetherExtensionRepository.java:741)
    at org.xwiki.extension.repository.aether.internal.AetherExtensionRepository.resolveMaven(AetherExtensionRepository.java:574)
    at org.xwiki.extension.repository.aether.internal.AetherExtensionRepository.resolveMaven(AetherExtensionRepository.java:547)
    at org.xwiki.extension.repository.aether.internal.AetherExtensionRepository.resolveMaven(AetherExtensionRepository.java:540)
    at org.xwiki.extension.repository.aether.internal.AetherExtensionRepository.resolve(AetherExtensionRepository.java:338)
    at org.xwiki.extension.repository.internal.DefaultExtensionRepositoryManager.resolve(DefaultExtensionRepositoryManager.java:285)
    at org.xwiki.extension.job.internal.AbstractInstallPlanJob.resolveExtension(AbstractInstallPlanJob.java:899)
    at org.xwiki.extension.job.internal.AbstractInstallPlanJob.installExtension(AbstractInstallPlanJob.java:854)
    at org.xwiki.extension.job.internal.AbstractInstallPlanJob.installExtension(AbstractInstallPlanJob.java:317)
    at org.xwiki.extension.job.internal.AbstractInstallPlanJob.installExtension(AbstractInstallPlanJob.java:285)
    at org.xwiki.extension.job.internal.AbstractInstallPlanJob.start(AbstractInstallPlanJob.java:208)
    at org.xwiki.extension.job.internal.InstallPlanJob.runInternal(InstallPlanJob.java:74)
    at org.xwiki.extension.job.internal.InstallJob.runInternal(InstallJob.java:98)
    at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Hello. Sorry about that, we were having problems yesterday (and for the past few days) on our nexus.xwiki.org instance (some bots hitting it among other things). We’re making changes to it to improve it’s availability and maybe you hit the problem at a time when we were doing changes.

I’ve tried to install an extension in a XWiki instance just now and it worked for me (albeit being slow) so you may want to retry now and less us know how it goes.

We’ll keep working to fix this instability. Again sorry about it.
-Vincent on behalf of the XWiki dev team

3 Likes

No worries! Thank you for taking the time to explain what’s going on and for all the work in maintaining this infrastructure :slight_smile:

I did just try a fresh container with fresh state again and it is running into time outs still, but no rush from me on resolving this :slight_smile:

As far as reproducing this, I also see individual extensions resolve successfully, but when there are a bunch installed as a part of installing a flavor, there’s always a handful that fail to resolve.

Side note, it seems that when one of the dependencies fails to resolve during the flavor install, the install should exit then. As it is now, I have to wait until it goes through all of them before I can start over again.

Just chiming in to let you know that I’ve encounter the same error (I think) while trying to migrate a 15.0 instance to a new server. I also tried to directly upgrade it to a newer version (15.1) during the migration with no better results.

I’m in no big rush. We’ll just keep the old server running a little while longer.

1 problem was encountered while building the effective model for org.xwiki.platform:xwiki-platform-distribution-flavor-mainwiki:15.1 [FATAL] Non-resolvable parent POM for org.xwiki.platform:xwiki-platform-distribution-flavor:15.1: Could not transfer artifact org.xwiki.platform:xwiki-platform-distribution:pom:15.1 from/to maven-xwiki (https://nexus.xwiki.org/nexus/content/groups/public): Connect to nexus.xwiki.org:443 timed out @ org.xwiki.platform:xwiki-platform-distribution-flavor:15.1 

best of luck with all of this, and thank you for your fantastic work!

1 Like

Been having the same issue since yesterday - continually trying (and failing) to install the standard flavour to a newly created ‘stable’ docker setup. At first I thought it was something I was doing wrong, but accessing the nexus directly I find that also times out, so soon figured out it wasn’t me.

Sad to hear that you’re having issues, but kind of glad there’s a reason for it, otherwise it would be a big black mark against the software that I’d really like to look at… I’m hoping it will end up being able to replace my no-longer-supported confluence.

Good luck fighting off those damn bots!

Same for me.
Is there any way for an offline installation or import of the flavor via an .xar-archive or something?

Yes, see https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/AdminGuide/Installation/#HXIPPackage.

1 Like

The same for me.
The package upgrade with apt from 15.10.2 to 15.10.8 worked, but upgrading the exensions and standard flavor failed since yesterday.
If normal users login to my subwikis it is working, and the subwiki are in usage.
Is it a problem if content is modified created in this state?

Best regards

sh

It should not be a big problem no, at least it should not really have an impact on the flavor upgrade.

I just tried a fresh install again and got through the whole installation of the flavor, no problem! Thank you so much for all your work :slight_smile:

This should have been resolved a few days ago by the infra team. Let us know if it happens again.

Sorry about the disruption.

1 Like