We have the following situation in the Blog application:
- https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/BLOG-120 introduced a new layout (Cards), for displaying blog posts, which shows the Ratings stars, among other information
- there are some issues (1 blocker) reported as being caused by the Ratings API refactoring: https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/BLOG-176, https://jira.xwiki.org/browse/BLOG-161
- since the Likes app has replaced the Ratings app as the default appreciations app, we could use it and display the Like button instead of Rating stars
I’d like to propose to use the appreciations data in the following order:
- if the Like feature exists, display Like button (which contains the number of likes)
- if the Rating feature exists, display the Rating stars (which highlights the average rating)
- if none of the above is available, do not display anything
The result would be:
- from XWiki 9.2 to XWiki 12.7, the users will see Rating stars in the Cards layout
- from XWiki 12.7+, the users will see Like button in the Cards layout
An issue could be if some XWiki instances uses Rating stars and after upgrade to a newer version, the stars will be replaced by the Like button which may cause some confusion and would make this change as a regression. Even more, some blog posts that could have been rated may end up in displaying the Like button with 10 likes instead of Rating stars with an average of 3.5 stars.
As an argument for this change, this Card layout was developed rather silently and the documentation does not mention anything about Ratings, so there would be a small change to have been adopted by the large masses. Actually, we make this feature public with this thread.
I would like to get some opinions from those using the Blog app, especially using this Cards layout, and from @vmassol (the project lead of the Blog app)