Jira for this discussion: Loading...

Hello everyone, here is the login and registration flow for Cristal.

Accessing
To access this area, we will incorporate a single button positioned beside the main logo, typically located where the user’s photo appears once logged in. The proposed button will be labeled “Sign-in.” Upon selecting this button, users will be directed to a new screen where they can choose between logging in or creating a new account.

Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 10.03.04

To accommodate this new button, the help icon has been relocated to the bottom of the sidebar. In compensation for its decreased visibility, we have included a label “Help Center” alongside it.

The label is just a proposal, what do you think of it?

The help link will mirror that of XS, directing users to the Cristal equivalent of https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Help/.

Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 10.03.40

In context:

single sidebar

Making it fullscreen
The intention of making the login/register flow “fullscreen”, is to streamline the user experience, ensuring that users are fully engaged in the registration and login processes. As such, these tasks will occupy the entire screen space, removing users from the wiki context and immersing them in the login/register flow.

single sidebar

To return to the main wiki, a button labeled “Back to site” featuring an arrow will be prominently placed at the top of each screen, effectively terminating the current flow.

For users who wish to navigate back one step only, they can use the default browser back button. While we could provide an additional back button within the interface, doing so may unnecessarily clutter the user interface without offering significant benefits.

Individual steps

The individual steps were taken from XS. Some may require adjustments as we progress further into development, but these will suffice for the current stage. Please note that the wireframes provided below represent the content area for each step, which will be centered on the user’s screen. This formatting is optimized for viewing within this forum.

Registering

After clicking in sign-in the user is directed to the start of the flow (the login page) where the “Create Account” button is available.

doc_mode_register

Logging in and forgot user/password

doc_mode_login

So that’s it for today, people. I hope you have enjoyed the reading and please, tell me what do you think of these ideas.

Thank you all for reading, see you soon!

1 Like

Thanks a lot for working on this.

What’s missing for me is the situation where Cristal is served from a different server than the backend (or locally, accessing a remote backend).
In this case, we might want to redirect the user to the authentication page of the backend, and retrieve an authentication token that we can store and user.
The goal is to avoid providing credentials in Cristal, which can be considered as untrusted third-party.
(Note: I might not know enough about web authentication process and be overcomplicating things).

Also, do we need something specific when trying to access a page that is not accessible to guest users?
Do we redirect straight away to the login page, or do you think it’s better to have an intermediate screen informing that the current resource is not viewable without authentication?

Globally looks good to me.

As Manuel mentioned, we do need to handle the case where Cristal is not connected to a remote backend (ie connected to the local backend). I think we still need to be logged in, for consistency in the UI and to be able to configure parameters for the user (and possibly to allow several users to use the same computer).

The left panel is not constrained in vertical space used. Imagine if there are, say 10 panels in the left sidebar, or some panel that take lots of vertical space (like expanding the nav panel), then the help button will be less visible.

IMO that’s acceptable, but I wanted to raise the fact that you’re “in context” view is a bit misleading in the case of a “busy” let sidebar.

Thanks

Got it, I will try to mock something up for these situations.

IMO, an intermediate screen telling the user that the resource is behind authentication is the best method. Going straight to the login page might be confusing, it works but not ideal in my opinion.

Thank you, I will keep this in mind. Initially I was thinking of making it always visible on the sidebar, but upon further thought it might be too obtrusive.