I’d like to open this discussion, on having a Mastodon account for XWiki. And possibly, leaving Twitter/X (I’ll use Twitter for short for the rest of this discussion).
This topic has already been discussed here and there but nothing of the forum, so here we are.
Pros of going to Mastodon:
- Open Source and distributed platform with a good and growing community
- @surli, @MichaelHamann and myself had some discussions on Mastodon, does that also happen on Twitter?
Cons of going to Mastodon:
- Yet another account to manage
Pros of leaving Twitter:
- The platform and its moderation are more and more criticized, and people a moving to alternatives (Mastodon, Bluesky…). Note that I don’t have numbers about this size of this migration, but this is a trending topic
Cons of leaving Twitter
- twitter still has quit a lot of users
- Our 428 following won’t get notified this way
Please vote for the following options:
- Agree to create a mastodon account (in this case we’ll need to discuss where, either on an existing instance of on a self-hosted one).
- Agree to stop using Twitter
Voting for 1 and not for 2 means updating our release process to publish new releases on Twitter and Mastodon, which is a bit more work.