Mentions tip sentence

In order to promote the use of the mentions, we are currently adding a tip explaining how to use the editor to mention a user.

We have currently two candidate sentences:

Sentence 1: When in the WYSIWYG editor, you can mention a user by typing the ‘@’ character followed by the user’s name (you can type some letters and you’ll get autocompletion).
Sentence 2: When in a WYSIWYG editor, you can mention a user by typing the ‘@’ character followed by the user’s name (you can type some letters and you’ll get autocompletion).
Sentence 3: You can mention a user by typing the ‘@’ character followed by the user’s name (you can type some letters and you’ll get autocompletion).

The two sentences are close and the difference (the vs a) is highlighted above.

To summarize the debate, the use of the could implicitly emphasize some uniqueness of the WYSIWYG editor (for editing pages content), whereas the WYSIWYG editor can also be used for AWM fields and for the comments and annotations.
In the other side, some could find the use of a vague and confusing.

Hence, I’m requesting your vote regarding the sentence you find the most informative sentence to educate users of the use of the mentions.
Of course alternative sentences can also be proposed

• Sentence 1
  • Sentence 2

0 voters

• Sentence 3

0 voters

Thanks.

**Edit: ** Added a third sentence. Also, polls cannot be edited after 5 minutes.

Just to clarify a bit: I proposed to use a WYSIWYG editor to emphasize about the fact that users could use mentions in all editors including the WYSIWYG editor to edit pages, but also the comment editor, the WYSIWYG editors we can have in objects etc. So another solution could be to just add examples to be more explicit, to use something like “any WYSIWYG editor” or something else. But IMO we should be clear that it’s not just the WYSIWYG editor used for editing pages.

BTW this can be solved by saying: “When editing in WYSIWYG…” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Except that here again it makes you think about editing a page, not commenting it :slight_smile:
[Edit: Now we could just omit the verb “When in WYSIWYG editor …”]

That could work, but I’m afraid it could give the false impression that this feature is also available in “basic” text editors.

Adding it to the poll anyway.

May I say, that I support surlis’ comment?

“The” implies the one and only - i think. “A” implies, that in whatever WYSIWYG-Editor comes your way, it supports mentions.

+1 for “a”

This just proves that “the WYSIWYG editor” is more natural :). It’s the same WYSIWYG editor used everywhere.

1 Like

Actually I just noticed that it’s the actual tip for using “[”:
Capture d’écran_2020-09-02_16-35-41

So it would make sense to use same structure indeed.

+1 to keep the same pattern.

“When editing in WYSIWYG, type @ and then start typing letters to get suggestions to mention a user.”

haha. I had forgotten I wrote this one. So good to see that I’m consistent over time :slight_smile:

If no one objects, I will use this sentence.

1 Like