Move legacy storage of notifications to an extension and stop bundling it

Hi everyone,

as you might know in XWiki 12.5 we changed the main location for storing notifications from the database to Solr. So the standard components are now using Solr to retrieve and display notifications. However, we kept storing in DB notifications, to support custom extensions that might have used it, and to prevent regressions.

So it’s been a few cycle that we need to maintain two different ways of storing notifications: I think it’s time to drop that support in XS and move it to an extension. The idea would be to move all components related to legacy storage to an extension, and to only bundle in XS storage of notifications using Solr. Note that the components I’m talking about are already deprecated and part of a legacy module.

I propose that we do that move as part of 16.x cycle.

wdyt?

We are still missing one feature on pure Solr side: the handling of max event age is still relying on the legacy store (but it deletes events on both sides).

Apart from this, +1 in general to start moving the legacy event store to the attic.

FTR this is tracked with Loading... and yes it needs to be implemented in 16.x before performing the changes.