Name of images pasted in CKEditor

Hello all,

When adding an image in a page, if an attachment with a similar name already exists, the attachment is replaced by the new image (with an version increment).
But, for images pasted in CKEditor, the user does not control the image name.
The image name is a localized and browser dependent constant (e.g., image.png on Chrome, or grafik.png in a German Firefox).
Consequently, if a user paste several images to the same document, the last one will override the previous one (or if an image.png image already exists).

The current approach to address this issue is to check if the image is named image.png and to replace it with ${TIMESTAMP}-${RANDOM}.png.
But, as explained above, this is not accurate as for German Firefox, the file name is grafik.png.

You can see the Draft PR where I propose an approach to more accurately identify if an image originates from a paste operation (using beforePaste/afterPaste event listeners).

This PR is also proposing a behavioral change. The pasted filename is now transformed to ${FILENAME}-${TIMESTAMP}-${RANDOM}.png where FILENAME is the original name of the pasted file (e.g, image or grafik).

This change is not technically required and we could keep using the ${TIMESTAMP}-${RANDOM}.png pattern, but I feel like having the original filename could make for better attachments names.

So the question is, WDYT of changing the filename pattern:

• in 15.x?
  • in 14.10.x?
5 Likes

This is not always true. It depends very much on the tool used to copy the image. Sometimes you do have a proper image file name. The question is more if we agree to have a different behaviour on paste versus drop / upload:

• drop / upload: overwrite existing images / attachments, if the file name matches
  • paste: never overwrite existing images / attachments

I’m not fully convinced on my side but I don’t have a better solution and the current approach is clearly not good enough as we had many complains from users. So +1 to try this out.

Thanks,
Marius

I have another option in mind. At paste time, prompt the user to set a filename manually.
Either all the time, or by checking first if the new file name conflicts with an existing attachment.
We could check for the conflict on the beforePaste event, and either change the name automatically (e.g., with an incremental suffix), or open a prompt so that the user could manually edit the name.
I’m note fully sure of how strong it would be regarding:

• the temporary attachment store (which would need to be checked in case of multiple paste in the same edit session)
  • a document edited by several users at the same time, with several uploading images with the same name

Note that this approach could even be generalize to all ways to upload attachments, since conflicts can also occur there too.

You’d probably need to perform the check for both existing attachments and attachments in the temporary store, but that should be doable I think.

It would be a standard edition conflict, but right now I’m not sure we’re giving much options for fixing those in case of uploads. Could be interesting to check actually.

+0 for this

IMO we’d need to have some UI in the editor to manipulate the added attachments in current editing session, e.g. to also allow canceling an attachment before saving (see: Loading...). So I’d go for the option you suggested with an automatic incremental suffix, and then provide in this future UI the capability to rename the attachments before actually performing the save.

I’ve applied Loading... and kept the legacy behavior for now.

Something that wasn’t clear in my proposal is that pasted files also include drag-and-dropped files from CKEditor point of view.
Meaning that any file drag-and-dropped in the editor is now renamed with the ${TIMESTAMP}-${RANDOM}.png pattern (see Loading...).

Do you thinks this is a correct behavior?

If not, I can see several options:

• revert to the fix (and get back the ‘grafik’ bug)
  • hardcode ‘grafik’ in the codebase as this is the only instance we know of
  • offer an configuration to define a set of known ‘paste’ filenames, and only those would be replaced with the pattern (note that in this case, the drag-and-drop or upload of ‘grafik.png’ or ‘image.png’ would still be replaced by ${TIMESTAMP}-${RANDOM}.png)
  • update the pattern to what I proposed initially to ${FILENAME}-${TIMESTAMP}-${RANDOM}.png so that it is less confusing as the initial name of the drag-and-dropped file is still present in the resulting file

What do you this is the best option:

+1 for this solution it feels like it would be the best trade off

First of all, isn’t there any way to distinguish between paste and drop?

Is there isn’t, then on the long run I think the best solution is what you proposed before:

Of course, we would still need to provide a default file name (i.e. pre-fill the file name).

On the sort term, 14.10.13 / 15.5RC1, I’m fine with either option 3 or 4.

Thanks,
Marius

+1

Thanks for pointing this out, there is actually a event.data.method with a value specific to the method of insertion:

• ‘drop’ for drag-and drop
  • ‘paste’ for pasting

This makes the fix much more obvious.

I propose instead of what I proposed above to keep the legacy naming, but to only apply it when event.data.method is paste (i.e., drag-and-dropped files wouldn’t be renamed)

+1

Thanks,
Marius