Planned upgrade of XWiki.org to 14.4.x

Hello everyone,

we are planning an upgrade of xwiki.org and all related wikis (including extensions.xwiki.org) next week on tuesday 27th.
The website should remain available but only in readonly so you won’t be able to make edition for the whole time of the upgrade, which should take no more than one day if everything goes well.

I’ll keep you informed here on the process.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

the upgrade is finally postponed to thursday the 29th since we need to focus on releasing XWiki 14.8.
Sorry for the late notice.

Hi everyone,

I will start the upgrade process, so xwiki.org will enter in maintenance mode in few minutes.

Thanks

Hello again,

so I’m not very happy to announce that the upgrade failed today: we encountered an issue when performing a migration that needs to be investigated, and due to a bad schedule with the release of XWiki 14.8 I need to postpone again the upgrade.
I’ll keep you informed here, but we will probably try again to perform this upgrade next week.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that.

Can you share more details about what stopped it? I’m really only interested whether it is something from a version that I have yet to upgrade to - well, I’m actually at 14.6 and everything looks good to me.
Or maybe if it something cloud-related - I’m on premise, though I could move to the cloud soon.

So we apparently got an issue with the migration of the schema to introduce the new documentAuthorsMetadata that was added in XWiki 14.0. For some reasons it looks like the schema update was not automatically performed, so all further migrations didn’t work.
We’re investigating on it.

So if you’re already on 14.6 you shouldn’t be impacted by this problem since you already have the new field.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick report. Hope you find the culprit soon :slight_smile:

So for transparency, we found the root cause of the upgrade problems we had and we opened [XWIKI-20184] R140401000XWIKI15460 Migration error when migrating from < 14.0 if user belongs to subwiki - XWiki.org JIRA for fixing it. We will resume the upgrade once it’s fixed and released.

1 Like

Hello everyone,

so we actually postponed the upgrade for a while since we discovered various regressions when performing a dry-run upgrade. Now we believe we fixed most of them as part of XWiki 14.4.6 which has been released last week.

So we’re now planning the upgrade for next thursday the 27th of October. As previously indicated it means that xwiki.org website and related will be only available in readonly at least this day.

Thanks

2 Likes

The upgrade will start in few minutes, I will put the website in readonly mode.

Hi again,

so I’m happy to inform that the upgrade of xwiki.org worked well this time. You can resume editions on it.
Note that a few people might have received a mail asking them to reset their password: if you do check your spams as you have received another email explaining why. If you’ve received this mail, then please follow the instructions.

Thanks