Problems Upgrading XWiki

Hello,

I recently upgraded XWiki to Version 11.8. I followed the steps in https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/AdminGuide/Upgrade#HPart2Upgradingtheflavor

When I tried to login after upgrading the Distribution Wizard was not triggered. I can’t access Administrator Section and the Macros are not working anymore. I then followed the directions in this Thread but that didn’t work either.

The catalina.out file is attached
catalina.txt.txt (312.1 KB)

2019-10-21 11:47:51,446 [Thread-16] ERROR o.j.o.VerboseProc/var/lib/tomcat8/.cache/ess - (process:7952): dconf-CRITICAL **: 11:47:51.445: unable to create directory ‘/var/lib/tomcat8/.cache/dconf’: Permission denied. dconf will not work properly.

Does not looks good, seems to mean that the user who run tomcat8 is not allowed to write in /var/lib/tomcat8/.cache/ (it should be allowed to write in the whole /var/lib/tomcat8/ in theory).

Caused by: org.apache.solr.client.solrj.SolrServerException: Failed to initialize the Solr core. Please check the configuration and log messages.

Hard to say what’s wrong exactly since I don’t find any solr related error in the log before this one unless it’s a side effect of the previous right issue. If fixing rights in ‘/var/lib/tomcat8/’ is not enough you could try to stop, delete /var/lib/xwiki/data/solr, start.

I tried setting file permissions and I also deleted the solr folder. Still not working the distribution wizard won’t come up.

catalina.txt (401.5 KB)

These messages stand out to me:

> 22-Oct-2019 08:36:01.775 WARNUNG [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory.validateFile Problem with directory [/var/lib/tomcat8/common/classes], exists: [false], isDirectory: [false], canRead: [false]
> 22-Oct-2019 08:36:01.810 WARNUNG [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory.validateFile Problem with directory [/var/lib/tomcat8/common], exists: [false], isDirectory: [false], canRead: [false]
> 22-Oct-2019 08:36:01.811 WARNUNG [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory.validateFile Problem with directory [/usr/share/tomcat8/common/classes], exists: [false], isDirectory: [false], canRead: [false]
> 22-Oct-2019 08:36:01.811 WARNUNG [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory.validateFile Problem with directory [/usr/share/tomcat8/common], exists: [false], isDirectory: [false], canRead: [false]
> 22-Oct-2019 08:36:01.817 WARNUNG [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory.validateFile Problem with directory [/var/lib/tomcat8/server/classes], exists: [false], isDirectory: [false], canRead: [false]
> 22-Oct-2019 08:36:01.819 WARNUNG [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory.validateFile Problem with directory [/var/lib/tomcat8/server], exists: [false], isDirectory: [false], canRead: [false]
> 22-Oct-2019 08:36:01.819 WARNUNG [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory.validateFile Problem with directory [/usr/share/tomcat8/server/classes], exists: [false], isDirectory: [false], canRead: [false]
> 22-Oct-2019 08:36:01.820 WARNUNG [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory.validateFile Problem with directory [/usr/share/tomcat8/server], exists: [false], isDirectory: [false], canRead: [false]
> 22-Oct-2019 08:36:01.821 WARNUNG [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory.validateFile Problem with directory [/var/lib/tomcat8/shared/classes], exists: [false], isDirectory: [false], canRead: [false]
> 22-Oct-2019 08:36:01.821 WARNUNG [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory.validateFile Problem with directory [/var/lib/tomcat8/shared], exists: [false], isDirectory: [false], canRead: [false]
> 22-Oct-2019 08:36:01.821 WARNUNG [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory.validateFile Problem with directory [/usr/share/tomcat8/shared/classes], exists: [false], isDirectory: [false], canRead: [false]
> 22-Oct-2019 08:36:01.822 WARNUNG [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory.validateFile Problem with directory [/usr/share/tomcat8/shared], exists: [false], isDirectory: [false], canRead: [false]

do you think deleting the status.xml file might help?

I tried setting file permissions

Did it fixed the right error in the log ?

22-Oct-2019 08:36:01.775 WARNUNG [main] org.apache.catalina.startup.ClassLoaderFactory.validateFile Problem with directory [/var/lib/tomcat8/common/classes], exists: [false], isDirectory: [false], canRead: [false]

First time I see those, not sure if it’s an issue or now but does not feel like much.

do you think deleting the status.xml file might help?

It won’t have any impact on the Solr error for sure.

Yes it fixed the error in the log. XWiki is still not working though.

Could deleting the status.xml file lead to the distribution wizard coming up?

You can certainly try, if it works that would mean that the DW was cancelled for good at some point (which is something stored in that file).

Thanks for your help, tried it but still no success. Any more ideas on what I could do? The latest catalina file is attached.

catalina.txt (468.8 KB)

21-Oct-2019 11:45:17.887 WARNUNG [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.webresources.Cache.getResource Unable to add the resource at [/WEB-INF/lib/batik-parser-1.11.jar.dpkg-tmp] to the cache for web application [/xwiki] because there was insufficient free space available after evicting expired cache entries - consider increasing the maximum size of the cache
21-Oct-2019 11:45:17.894 WARNUNG [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.webresources.Cache.getResource Unable to add the resource at [/WEB-INF/lib/checker-qual-2.11.0.jar.dpkg-new] to the cache for web application [/xwiki] because there was insufficient free space available after evicting expired cache entries - consider increasing the maximum size of the cache
21-Oct-2019 11:45:17.896 WARNUNG [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.webresources.Cache.getResource Unable to add the resource at [/WEB-INF/lib/batik-gvt-1.11.jar.dpkg-tmp] to the cache for web application [/xwiki] because there was insufficient free space available after evicting expired cache entries - consider increasing the maximum size of the cache
21-Oct-2019 11:45:17.908 WARNUNG [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.webresources.Cache.getResource Unable to add the resource at [/WEB-INF/lib/bzip2-0.9.1.jar.dpkg-new] to the cache for web application [/xwiki] because there was insufficient free space available after evicting expired cache entries - consider increasing the maximum size of the cache
21-Oct-2019 11:45:17.909 WARNUNG [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.webresources.Cache.getResource Unable to add the resource at [/WEB-INF/lib/commons-beanutils-1.9.4.jar.dpkg-new] to the cache for web application [/xwiki] because there was insufficient free space available after evicting expired cache entries - consider increasing the maximum size of the cache
21-Oct-2019 11:45:17.912 WARNUNG [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.webresources.Cache.getResource Unable to add the resource at [/WEB-INF/lib/asm-util-7.1.jar.dpkg-tmp] to the cache for web application [/xwiki] because there was insufficient free space available after evicting expired cache entries - consider increasing the maximum size of the cache
21-Oct-2019 11:45:17.913 WARNUNG [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.webresources.Cache.getResource Unable to add the resource at [/WEB-INF/lib/cdi-api-1.0.jar.dpkg-new] to the cache for web application [/xwiki] because there was insufficient free space available after evicting expired cache entries - consider increasing the maximum size of the cache

You have some very weird files in /usr/lib/xwiki/WEB-INF/lib it seems. Files ending with .jar.dpkg-new and .jar.dpkg-tmp generally happen when there is a conflict on those file during an upgrade. This folder is only supposed to contains .jar and .xed files.

Thats strange, I got no error messages while upgrading the debian package. I’m kinda lost here, anybody know how to solve this?

You could try to apt remove xwiki-commons (not purge to not remove your data), make sure /usr/lib/xwiki/ has been removed, apt install the package you used to have.

2 Likes

That worked. I foolishly didn’t make a backup before upgrading so you saved my life here. Thanks a ton!

1 Like

Cool you fixed it, very weird situation.