Requesting access for restricted pages

Hi there,

Is there a way to configure an option to request access to a restricted page, the way there is in Confluence?

The current message displayed is “Error: You are not allowed to view this page or perform this action”. I suppose we could change this message to instead say ‘contact XX@XX if you would like access to this page’, but are wondering if there is a more direct way where an admin could be notified and given the option to quickly allow access.

Thanks very much :blush:

Hi!

I found Customize error message as at least a clue for the full answer.

HTH!

Thanks! I’ve looked at that post before - it’s very helpful :slightly_smiling_face: In this instance, I was more so thinking of a button to automate the request/approve access actions.

This is an interesting use case.

What you could do in the past was to send a message inside of XWiki, so you could imagine sending a message to the admin group for example. This was https://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Message%20Stream%20Application/

This extension used to be bundled in XWiki, but it’s now an extension you can install. I don’t remember why we unbundled it, but it’s a sign that something was not working as well as we wanted. Would that solve your need?

In the same direction, there’s the following extension that could maybe be used as workaround:
https://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Discussions%20Application/ However I’ve never tried it and I don’t know how it works (cc @surli ).

I think your use case is valid and it would be interesting to create a jira issue for it, do you think you could do that and explain your detailed requirements on how you’d see this working?

Thx!

Thanks Vincent!

These are interesting extensions, thank you for sharing. They aren’t quite what I was thinking but there might be some portions of these that could be incorporated to achieve the desired function.

The aim would be to have some button on the page that sends a message to admin from the restricted page (so it’s clear/automated for which location access is being requested). And on the other side, admin would get an email or notification (thinking an email is probably best for expedited access granting) and can enable the access within the platform.

In Confluence, the email looks like this:

Confluence request access email

With the following information:

• Who requested access
  • Page title
  • Which area of the wiki
  • Button link to grant access in Confluence

As I write this out, I’m wondering if something modelled off the Invitation Application would work. I will create a Jira ticket with more detail.

Thanks again!

Here is the Jira ticket for reference: RIGHTSAPI-37.