Root Wiki Corrupted or Deleted

I am facing an issue that has reoccurred at least twice now in as many months. At some point my root Wiki become unaccessible, it is like it was deleted or corrupted, which also prevents users from being able to login via Azure AD/OAuth.

When I login to the root wiki with a local account I see the distribution wizard asking to Install a flavor:

If a login to a sub-wiki all the data is still there, but the pictures or attachments do not display.

The only way I have been able to resolve this issue is to rollback the MySQL server to backup from the night before, which restores the root wiki.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Current setup:
Container running XWiki 15.10.7 on Azure App Service
Azure Database for MySQL version 8.0

What’s common to those two (the index of installed extensions and the attachment files) is that it’s stuff stored on the filesystem and not in the database. Feels like you have some problem with your “permanent directory” (configured in xwiki.properties) which get wiped or lost at some point.

Interesting, I will take a look at our file system and see if I can find an issue. Its strange that rolling back our DB server to a backup from overnight resolves the issue. We are using a file system that is local to our web server in Azure. The system was pretty stable for a few months, but this problem has only started in the last couple of weeks.

Considering the site starts to work after we do a DB rollback but make no change to the file system, is there something else that could be the problem or I can check? My current theory is there is some job that runs that is causing the site to break, or doing something to the database.

The best would be to try to access a broken image, and you will see why it exactly fails to load it (missing file, wrong right, etc.).

The fact that you get a step asking you to choose a flavor definitely means that it does not find any flavor installed, and that’s registered in the filesystem. Now, it’s possible that you did uninstall the flavor by mistake (it’s just an extension after all).