Server not really fluent. Slow to navigate

Hello, we tried xwiki for our future knowledge base in our small company (~50 users).

After few test and navigation, the server is not really fast and some page is slow to open. 2-5 seconds and sometime more.

We didn’t have lot of knowledge with tomcat/jdk/postgres and maybe we miss some setting for better experience. Do you have any ideas or page with tips ?

We install xwiki on 1 server with the following settings/stats :
windows server 2019
postgresql 13
tomcat 9.0.46
adoptopenjdk 11.0.11
xwiki lts 12.10.8 with standard flavour
Full SSD
3.2 GHZ proc / 4 VCPU
6GB Memory
Tomcat Java setting with 2 GB initial memory pool and 4GB maximum memory Pool
No specific setting on postgresql
postgresql database are stored on drive “D” with xwiki environment.permanentDirectory

Thanks for your help

That’s 4GB and not 6GB :wink:

Note that it’s a lot (too much).

Regarding perf see https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/AdminGuide/Performances/ and especially the memory and CPU sections. You’ll see that your setup is actually oversized :wink: (BTW, in Java too much memory can slow down apps depending on how you’ve configured the GC).

It’s not possible to help out more with the details you provided and without knowing the exact problems.

You should check what’s taking time. See https://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/Debugging for some ideas to find out what’s the problem.

That’s 4GB and not 6GB :wink:

My settings equals to 6GB ?

I’ll reduce to 2GB as mentionned on the url and reduce 4 VCPU for 2VCPU.

What is “GC” ? That’s strange to slow app if you give them more memory =D

I reckon you’re not used to running java applications :wink:

GC = garbage collector. You can google java performance in relation to GC and you’ll find plenty of information about that (hint: the more memory to clean the more time it takes).

ah I misread, the machine has 6GB and you’re were giving 4GB to Java, keeping 2GB for the system and the rest.

Note that this was a comment in passing as I doubt that this will change much your overall perf. You need to find out the cause of the slowness.

hi, after few month and try few things the server is not really speed.
I dont know if it’s a windows side and if on linux server the app will run faster or not.

The slowing performance is visible on navigation panel. Maybe there is something to do on this side.

Hi, it’s difficult to help you without proper insight of what’s causing the bad performance.
What you can do is monitor a bit your server to try understanding where the slowness comes from, I invite you to check Monitoring (XWiki.org) and maybe install glowroot: it allows to spot the slow requests for example.

I made more tests and i am able to have “fast” navigation.

When i connect in local on the server and open web broswer its fluent and OK.
When i work over network (even with 10 gbps) it’s slow.

Maybe there is settings on tomcat for improve connection?

If it is fast locally, but slow over the network, then you need to find out what the difference is.

For example, Is there a proxy on the network between the user and the tomcat instance that may be adding the delay?

I tried to connect on my xwiki with another VM on the same hypervisor and i have same latency. No proxy, no firewall, no AV. Only VM to VM from same hypervisor.

Thats strange and looks like a bad settings on tomcat or something else.

Navigation Pannel on left is clearly the major issue.

I find the solution !

It was the postgresql driver i used.

I change it for the last version and the server is really really faster !

1 Like