[SOLVED] Update problem / tomcat config file?

Hello everybody,

I just tried to update xwiki from 10.5 to 11.6 debian version on linuxmint 18 (postgres db).

While updating, apt prompt me to choose if I want to keep the old tomcat config or install the new (mainteners choice). I try both:

1. Keep old config: xwiki started fine, but a lot of widgets were not working (the admin mene “administer”) was not visible as well, so I couldn’t try more.

2. Install new config: tomcat is starting, but If I point my browser to xwiki, nothing is happening. I get only a blank page.

What to do? Did I miss something?

thanks in advance

vince

Hi @vince,

apparently different users are also experiencing problems when upgrading from 11.5 to 11.6, we are trying to find what’s the root reason.
Would that be ok for you to give your tomcat config file which changes? the new and the old one so we could compare what changed there?

Thanks

sure! where can I find it?

When you choose from the oldconfig or the new one it should have told you which file is involved. And a backup of the old file should have been made if you chose to use the new one.

hm, this happened while the whole system was updating, it was a GUI prompt, I can’t remember they sais were is the file. I’ll have a look on the system I might find something, but if you have a hint, I would be really happy!

You can at least check /etc/xwiki and /etc/tomcat directories. Now could be good to know if you also change the version of tomcat, like from tomcat8 to tomcat9 for example?

tomcat8 is still in use.

here both directories. which file are you interested in?

tomcatconf

It’s after you tried new config right? Weird that I don’t see any backup files there…
Anyway, I guess /etc/tomcat8/server.xml should be the one that changed.

hey surli,

unfortenately, the files are identical :frowning:

any other idea?

hey surli,
here are the file comparison.
it was /etc/default/tomcat8

I can provide you the files if you want

all the best

vince

tomcat8comparison

tomcatprompt1 tomcatprompt2

Thanks for the investigation!

So the change between both config shouldn’t have any impact on the result. It should be exactly the same behaviour if you chose one config or the other. Are you sure that in both case tomcat is restarted automatically after the upgrade?

Now about the upgrade issue, you have to delete your solr data directory: we changed something on XWiki 11.4 related to Solr and it’s a part of the upgrade that we didn’t manage to automatize yet.
So just delete the directory /var/lib/xwiki/data/solr (do a backup before to be sure), and restart tomcat.

As crazy as it sounds:

• with the old config, I could start xwiki and get access to it. The only problem there is, a lot of macros are not recognized and all the menues are not showing up, neither the wizard.
  • with the new config, I wasn’t able to start xwiki at all. I just got a blank screen, no initialisation was started

I restarted the whole system many time, so I’m quite sure tomcat was restarted.

I’ll try, thanks!

This just worked!! Thank you very much surli :slight_smile:

I just get a problem with the Extention “Whatchlist application”. Is this a big issue, do I need it at all?

screenshot_1

The watchlist application is actually something to uninstall and not to upgrade.

hey tmortagne,
thank you very much for the advice, I didn’t know that. I will deinstall it now it is not needed anymore by XWiki.

All the best,

Vince