Using Docker(-Compose/-Images) leads to errors

Hello,

I currently try to set up XWiki on a offline machine. I read the article and installation instruction for setting up XWiki via images or docker-compose, but all I tried leads to errors in the end.

The problem is, if I just use the images, export them (on my online machine) and import them (on my offline machine) I get JAVA exceptions. I tried this with the “docker run” commands mentioned in the instructions. I think, the container tries to download some dependencies, which couldn’t be downloaded, because the machine is in a offline network. Is there a way to solve this problem here already?
Here are the exceptions:

xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | 2019-12-10 10:28:54,932 [Core extension repository updater] ERROR aultExtensionRepositoryManager - Unexpected error when trying to find extension [com.google.code.findbugs:annotations/api] in repository [maven-xwiki:maven:hxxp://nexus.xwiki.org/nexus/content/groups/public]
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | org.xwiki.extension.ResolveException: Failed to resolve artifact [com.google.code.findbugs:annotations:jar:api] descriptor
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | at org.xwiki.extension.repository.aether.internal.AetherExtensionRepository.resolveMaven(AetherExtensionRepository.java:488)
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | at org.xwiki.extension.repository.aether.internal.AetherExtensionRepository.resolveMaven(AetherExtensionRepository.java:471)
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | at org.xwiki.extension.repository.aether.internal.AetherExtensionRepository.resolveMaven(AetherExtensionRepository.java:465)
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | at org.xwiki.extension.repository.aether.internal.AetherExtensionRepository.resolve(AetherExtensionRepository.java:271)
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | at org.xwiki.extension.repository.internal.DefaultExtensionRepositoryManager.resolve(DefaultExtensionRepositoryManager.java:286)
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | at org.xwiki.extension.repository.internal.core.DefaultCoreExtensionScanner.updateExtensions(DefaultCoreExtensionScanner.java:116)
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | at org.xwiki.extension.repository.internal.core.DefaultCoreExtensionRepository$1.run(DefaultCoreExtensionRepository.java:138)
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | Caused by: org.eclipse.aether.resolution.ArtifactResolutionException: Could not transfer artifact com.google.code.findbugs:annotations:pom:api from/to maven-xwiki (hxxp://nexus.xwiki.org/nexus/content/groups/public) : nexus.xwiki. org: Temporary failure in name resolution
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | at org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolve(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:413)
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | at org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolveArtifacts(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:215)
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | at org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolveArtifact(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:192)
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | at org.xwiki.extension.repository.aether.internal.AetherExtensionRepository.downloadPom(AetherExtensionRepository.java:606)
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | at org.xwiki.extension.repository.aether.internal.AetherExtensionRepository.resolveMaven(AetherExtensionRepository.java:482)
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | … 7 common frames omitted
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | Caused by: org.eclipse.aether.transfer.ArtifactTransferException: Could not transfer artifact com.google.code.findbugs:annotations:pom:api from/to maven-xwiki (hxxp://nexus.xwiki.org/nexus/content/groups/public) : nexus.xwiki .org: Temporary failure in name resolution
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | at org.eclipse.aether.connector.basic.ArtifactTransportListener.transferFailed(ArtifactTransportListener.java:52)
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | at org.eclipse.aether.connector.basic.BasicRepositoryConnector$TaskRunner.run(BasicRepositoryConnector.java:368)
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | at org.eclipse.aether.util.concurrency.RunnableErrorForwarder$1.run(RunnableErrorForwarder.java:75)
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | at org.eclipse.aether.connector.basic.BasicRepositoryConnector$DirectExecutor.execute(BasicRepositoryConnector.java:642)
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | at org.eclipse.aether.connector.basic.BasicRepositoryConnector.get(BasicRepositoryConnector.java:262)
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | at org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultArtifactResolver.performDownloads(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:489)
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | at org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolve(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:390)
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | … 11 common frames omitted
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | Caused by: java.net.UnknownHostException: nexus.xwiki. org: Temporary failure in name resolution
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | at java.net.Inet4AddressImpl.lookupAllHostAddr(Native Method)
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | at java.net.InetAddress$2.lookupAllHostAddr(InetAddress.java:929)
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | at java.net.InetAddress.getAddressesFromNameService(InetAddress.java:1324)
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName0(InetAddress.java:1277)
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName(InetAddress.java:1193)
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName(InetAddress.java:1127)
xwiki-postgres-tomcat-web | at org.apache.http.impl.conn.SystemDefaultDnsResolver.resolve(SystemDefaultDnsResolver.java:45)

Further things I tried is starting the container on my online system, wait till it is ready to proceed, shut it down and make an image from this container, which I will use together with the docker-compose from the instructions page. Here I get the following error:

ERROR: for db Cannot create container for service db: b’No command specified’
ERROR: Encountered errors while bringing up the project.

If I specify the command (even if I don’t know why I should, because docker-compose should run without any command) such as “\bin\bash” or “\bin\sh”, I get the error:

ERROR: for db Cannot start service db: b’OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:345: starting container process caused “exec: \”/bin/sh\": stat /bin/sh: No such file or directory": unkown’
ERROR: Encountered errors while bringing up the project.

I’m currently totally confused and don’t really know, why I cannot move a container from one system to another. Is there some solution here?

Best regards,
JiBREEL.

Hi, this is not related to docker at all. You’re trying to start XWiki offline without having configured it to be offline. I think what you need is https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/AdminGuide/Installation/#HExtensionRepositories and more generally https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/AdminGuide/Installation/#HInstallingwithoutinternetconnection

I have no idea. Never done this and I don’t know if Docker supports this. This is a docker question really.

Note that if you don’t specific a location for the mapped volumes on your host then I don’t see how you can port that to another machine.