What is the signifiance of a trailing slash in a page URL?

I created a diagram named Diagram1 using the Diagram Application extension, and then I decided that I wanted to embed it in another page. So I moved Diagram1 so it was a child of the page that I wanted to embed the diagram into. Then in the diagram’s parent page I added the following macro:

{{diagram reference=“Diagram1”/}}

When I did this though, the diagram macro didn’t appear to be able to find the Diagram1 child page and instead just displayed a Create Diagram button. When I clicked that button to create a new diagram child page, I realized that I had two pages in my navigation tree with two slightly different URLs: (parent)/Diagram1/ and (parent)/Diagram1 where the original diagram page that I created had a trailing slash and the new one automatically created by clicking the Create Diagram button did not have a trailing slash. If I clicked on the navigation tree links to either page, the contents were different (one had my previously-created diagram, and the other just had the blank page for the new diagram created by the button), and the two pages seemed to have different histories.

What is the reason for the different page data depending if there is a trailing slash vs. no trailing slash?

Diagram/ is the short URL representation for Diagram/WebHome → in this case, Diagram is a non-terminal page and it can have children (WebHome is one of them)
Diagram → in this case, Diagram is a terminal page and it cannot have children.
Apparently XWiki allows you to create 2 children with the same name, a terminal and a non-terminal one.
Not sure if this is a bug or a feature.

Hope it helps,
Alex

Thanks for the information. This behavior is a little odd, but now I understand why I could not point to my original diagram. So what would the procedure be then if I wanted to take a page with WebHome defined and convert it to a terminal page? Are there certain attributes that I can edit on an existing non-terminal page in order to make it terminal?

Use the Move/Rename feature, and check the Rename as terminal page option.

OK. Thanks. It’s probably worth pointing out that the Rename as terminal page checkbox only appears if the user performing the move operation is an Advanced user.