When to drop "since" information on xwiki.org

Hi devs,

We have plenty of “Since XXX” information on xwiki.org but as time passes, it makes reading pages harder and distracting. We need a strategy to decide when to remove old since.

In addition we only support 3 branches on xwiki.org (LTS, stable and dev) so it would make sense to have xwiki.org aligned with that, if only for consistency reasons.

So I’m proposing that we are allowed to remove all “Since X.Y.Z” when the major (X) is strictly less than the current LTS version major.

For example if the LTS is 12.10.6, then all “Since X” where X < 12 can be removed.

WDYT?

Thanks
-Vincent

+1 if it’s only about removing the since information when something is still accurate in current version.
If there’s different since with different information for various releases, then I’d say it would be better to handle it on case by case basis: for example, if you have documentation such as:

since 10.11.10 the way to change Syntax is X
since 11.4 the way to change syntax is Y
since 12.10.2 the way to change syntax is Z

then I’d say we should at the very least keep information that in previous versions it was X or Y, even if it’s not LTS.

I don’t understand this logic since we don’t support that version anymore (and it’s been more than 1 year, between 1 to 2 years to be precise).

For me this is the same as saying we still support older versions (in the doc at least). It’s more work.

Also you didn’t mention when this is removed. It has to have a date when it’s removed! For me the simpler the algorithm the best.

I agree that anything older than the current LTS cycle should be removed from the documentation in general (it’s possible there is very special cases to justify) including getting rid of things which don’t make sense anymore.

+1, xwiki.org documentation should reflect only LTS+ versions.

+1. Thanks

FTR just tried the new strategy on https://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Notifications%20Application/?viewer=changes&rev1=164.3&rev2=164.4&

Added to Documentation Guide - XWiki