xDocFooter Revamp

+1 for the idea

The main issue for me is that its style is not consistent with any other button in the UI.

Especially important for accessibility :+1:

Fortunately this shouldn’t be too difficult to do from a technical perspective: here is an example of changing an attribute on all ‘user avatar’ pictures.

Like button change :
Why leave the text in black? I think making the text the same shade of blue as the icon would give more cohesion to the button.
About the tooltips, I worked on them for XWIKI-19139: Like button can't be focused by tabulator (#2107) · xwiki/xwiki-platform@e0b58cb · GitHub, it’s pretty new and they are not the best I agree ^^’
For a button, its accessible name should always contain a description of its function (here, like or unlike the page). In this case, we also want to give an idea of what the number next to the button means. Both pieces of info are important, even though you don’t need to put the second one in the tooltip.

Tags Changes

• We have a few default tags that the user can choose from, like:
  • #done - this tag would help put all done projects and tasks in the same subcategory. These would be the pages that would be most likely to get archived or deleted each few years, making the process of cleaning up much easier.
  • #in progress
  • #to improve
  • #to update - if anyone stumbles an outdated page, they can easily mark it for update
  • Because these tags are very close to the Comments section it makes feedback and progress tracking much easier for the reviewer.
  • Each of these default tags should have special colors to be easy to spot. The colors would be based on the info, warning, success and error boxes’ colors.

:+1: Those colors schemes have enough contrast (I made sure of it earlier this year :slight_smile: ) and don’t bring in too much complexity in the color theme, for a secondary feature.

Great idea +1 for revamping the footer

Like others I’m not convinced the ‘documented by’, personally Id prefer page statistics such as number of views at that place, perhaps there’s a solution to allow admins to choose context themselves?

I very much like the default tags for progress/status of the page. I can imagine the default tags (specifically those indicating the page is not fully done) could have a little bulb somewhere at the top of the page. That way readers would immediatly be informed about the current state of the page (opposed to currently where theyd read the page, find out parts are missing and then see the tag in the footer)

I also like the colors for the default tag +1

I think that from a collaboration POV it’s interesting too to know the creator of a page since, when in doubt about adding something to the page you may want to know who wrote it and contact the person for additional information about the spirit of the page, etc.

Now as others have noted, it’s costly to compute and displaying the last one is useful IMO. We could keep displaying the last one but provide a link to the information tab where we would compute and display all authors (possibly starting a job that would take some time).

@amilica I think this thread should be closed and several new threads created with new proposals for all topics, taking into considerations the comments received so far (and mention the new threads in this thread as a follow up). As a general rule, it’s much simpler to have small and concise threads, it helps getting feedback and getting something actionable out of it.

Thanks!