XWiki 12.2 fresh install loads perfecty on localhost, but not with actual URL (navigation and some texts missing)

Made a fresh install on Windows with:

• Tomcat 9
  • MySql 8
  • xWiki 12.2

Loads perfectly when accessing the site localhost. I configured this in server.xml the access through a proper URL (I left the localhost config as it was, and added this config):
<Host name="xwiki.mycompany.net" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">

I can access the xWiki by using http://xwiki.mycompany.net and it loads without any browser errors in console (also no 404 in Network tab of developer tools).

I also moved the xwiki to the ROOT webapps of Tomcat.

When I access it this way some elements don’t load, such as the navigation. Here is a comparison screenshot between localhost and URL-access:

I tried with different browsers, from remote clients and also on the server itself, it makes no difference. Obviously localhost only works on the server itself :wink:

Does anyone have any advice? I’m happy to share any configuration.

I do see one error during startup, but I think it’s unrelated:

2020-04-02 17:07:06,843 [main] ERROR .o.i.DefaultObservationManager - Failed to lookup listeners
org.xwiki.component.manager.ComponentLookupException: Failed to lookup component with type [interface org.xwiki.observation.EventListener] and hint [solr.availablelocales]
at org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getInstanceMap(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:245)
at org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getInstanceList(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:225)
at org.xwiki.observation.internal.DefaultObservationManager.initializeListeners(DefaultObservationManager.java:166)
at org.xwiki.observation.internal.DefaultObservationManager.getListenersByEvent(DefaultObservationManager.java:132)
at org.xwiki.observation.internal.DefaultObservationManager.notify(DefaultObservationManager.java:283)
at org.xwiki.component.internal.StackingComponentEventManager.sendEvent(StackingComponentEventManager.java:151)
at org.xwiki.component.internal.StackingComponentEventManager.flushEvents(StackingComponentEventManager.java:92)
at org.xwiki.container.servlet.XWikiServletContextListener.contextInitialized(XWikiServletContextListener.java:124)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:4690)

About this, please check https://forum.xwiki.org/t/xwiki-11-3-to-11-6-1-upgrade-fail-almost-solved/5433/19

Hard to help you without more info. Could you share (as attachment here or on some other site) the xwiki log from the start of Tomcat?

Thx

Hi vmassol

Thanks for replying. Here are clean logs (restarted server and accessed the site with the URL).

catalina.2020-04-06.log (7.6 KB)
commons-daemon.2020-04-06.log (299 Bytes)
tomcat9-stderr.2020-04-06.log (8.4 KB)
tomcat9-stdout.2020-04-06.log (12.2 KB)
xwiki_company_net_access_log.2020-04-06.txt (12.1 KB)

In the browser console I see no errors. I traced network activity in the console, it couldn’t find the favicon.ico, but no other errors.

Thanks

so what I was looking after was the xwiki logs which I think is what is in tomcat9-stdout.2020-04-06.log.

There are some errors in it but they should affect the URLs.

@tmortagne does this ring a bell:

2020-04-06 11:43:17,096 [main] ERROR .o.i.DefaultObservationManager - Failed to lookup listeners 
org.xwiki.component.manager.ComponentLookupException: Failed to lookup component with type [interface org.xwiki.observation.EventListener] and hint [solr.availablelocales]
	at org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getInstanceMap(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:245)
	at org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getInstanceList(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:225)
	at org.xwiki.observation.internal.DefaultObservationManager.initializeListeners(DefaultObservationManager.java:166)
	at org.xwiki.observation.internal.DefaultObservationManager.getListenersByEvent(DefaultObservationManager.java:132)
	at org.xwiki.observation.internal.DefaultObservationManager.notify(DefaultObservationManager.java:283)
	at org.xwiki.component.internal.StackingComponentEventManager.sendEvent(StackingComponentEventManager.java:151)
	at org.xwiki.component.internal.StackingComponentEventManager.flushEvents(StackingComponentEventManager.java:92)
	at org.xwiki.container.servlet.XWikiServletContextListener.contextInitialized(XWikiServletContextListener.java:124)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart(StandardContext.java:4690)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5151)
	at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:183)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:717)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:690)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:705)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory(HostConfig.java:1133)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployDirectory.run(HostConfig.java:1867)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:515)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.InlineExecutorService.execute(InlineExecutorService.java:75)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.AbstractExecutorService.submit(AbstractExecutorService.java:118)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectories(HostConfig.java:1045)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:429)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1576)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:309)
	at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleBase.java:123)
	at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.setStateInternal(LifecycleBase.java:423)
	at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.setState(LifecycleBase.java:366)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.startInternal(ContainerBase.java:936)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.startInternal(StandardHost.java:841)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$StartChild.call(ContainerBase.java:1384)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$StartChild.call(ContainerBase.java:1374)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.InlineExecutorService.execute(InlineExecutorService.java:75)
	at java.base/java.util.concurrent.AbstractExecutorService.submit(AbstractExecutorService.java:140)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.startInternal(ContainerBase.java:909)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.startInternal(StandardEngine.java:262)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.startInternal(StandardService.java:421)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.startInternal(StandardServer.java:930)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:633)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:343)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:474)
Caused by: org.xwiki.component.manager.ComponentLookupException: Failed to lookup component [org.xwiki.search.solr.internal.SolrInstanceProvider] identified by type [javax.inject.Provider<org.xwiki.search.solr.internal.api.SolrInstance>] and hint [default]
	at org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:204)
	at org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getDependencyInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:399)
	at org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.createInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:355)
	at org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getComponentInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:451)
	at org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getInstanceMap(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:242)
	... 48 common frames omitted
Caused by: org.xwiki.component.manager.ComponentLookupException: Failed to lookup component [org.xwiki.search.solr.internal.SolrClientInstance] identified by type [interface org.xwiki.search.solr.internal.api.SolrInstance] and hint [default]
	at org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:204)
	at org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getDependencyInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:406)
	at org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.createInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:355)
	at org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getComponentInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:451)
	at org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:201)
	... 52 common frames omitted
Caused by: org.xwiki.component.manager.ComponentLookupException: Failed to lookup component [org.xwiki.search.solr.internal.DefaultSolr] identified by type [interface org.xwiki.search.solr.Solr] and hint [default]
	at org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getDependencyInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:406)
	at org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.getInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:201)
	... 56 common frames omitted
Caused by: org.xwiki.component.phase.InitializationException: Failed to lookup configured Solr type [embedded]
	at org.xwiki.search.solr.internal.DefaultSolr.initialize(DefaultSolr.java:60)
	at org.xwiki.component.embed.InitializableLifecycleHandler.handle(InitializableLifecycleHandler.java:39)
	at org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.createInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:365)
	... 60 common frames omitted
Caused by: org.xwiki.component.manager.ComponentLookupException: Failed to lookup component [org.xwiki.search.solr.internal.EmbeddedSolr] identified by type [interface org.xwiki.search.solr.Solr] and hint [embedded]
	at org.xwiki.search.solr.internal.DefaultSolr.initialize(DefaultSolr.java:58)
	... 64 common frames omitted
Caused by: org.xwiki.component.phase.InitializationException: Failed to initialize the Solr embedded server with home directory set to [C:\xWiki-Data\solr]
	at org.xwiki.search.solr.internal.EmbeddedSolr.initialize(EmbeddedSolr.java:111)
	at org.xwiki.component.embed.InitializableLifecycleHandler.handle(InitializableLifecycleHandler.java:39)
	at org.xwiki.component.embed.EmbeddableComponentManager.createInstance(EmbeddableComponentManager.java:365)
	... 65 common frames omitted
Caused by: org.apache.solr.client.solrj.SolrServerException: Failed to initialize the Solr core. Please check the configuration and log messages.
	at org.xwiki.search.solr.internal.EmbeddedSolr.createCoreContainer(EmbeddedSolr.java:120)
	at org.xwiki.search.solr.internal.EmbeddedSolr.initialize(EmbeddedSolr.java:106)
	... 69 common frames omitted

@tmortagne do you know what log message it’s referring to? Some solr logs somewhere?

@Minas Could you check the browser dev tools and check the network tab to see the queries and results. The panes load asychronousy so I’d like to see the HTTP requests for them and see the response you get.

Thanks

“images removed because contained customer internal URL’s”

Actually that’s not the important log here. It seems the EmbeddedSolr component is initialized twice (I doubt you can start two Solr instances with the same home). But not really sure what is causing this.

Ok, I had a colleague, who knows Tomcat, figure this out.

The problem was that I created 2 entries, one with localhost and one with xwiki.company.net. He said a second entry would only be needed in a special setup (I believe when you delegate to another Tomcat server or some such). Anyhow, we cleared up the server.xml and removed the 2nd entry and just kept the localhost entry. Also double checked that

pointed to localhost and not the other entry.

And now it works fine.

Thank you both for the help