XWiki is applying for GSoC 2021. Proposals and mentors needed!

Hello, fellow XWiki community members!

This year, XWiki is planning to participate once more at Google’s Summer of Code.

The organization registration period has already started and the deadline is February 19, 2021 19:00 UTC (17 days left).

1. We need to provide by then a list of proposals and assign mentors that are willing to guide the students that are going to implement them.

I would like to ask everybody that wants to participate as a mentor (and is eligible) for the XWiki organization to review the proposals list (currently proposals) and add as many interesting proposals as possible.

The proposals can be either new, or they can be revived from previous years. Just navigate to the previous years, find the proposal you like and know about, go to its proposal page (click it) and press the “Clone to this year” link. Now you can assign yourself as lead for that project, update it’s description if needed and wait for the student applications to start pouring :slight_smile:

1. If you feel that you would like to help on improving XWiki’s GSoC guides and application forms, please find guidelines for students on XWiki’s GSoC page, the student application form and the lessons learned from the previous years.

2. Reminder that this year, some changes were introduced to the GSoC 2021 program. TL;DR:

• Shorter coding period => smaller projects compared to previous years.
    • Projects should be doable in a total of 175 hours, spanning over 10 weeks (~3.5 h/day workdays, with free weekends), more similarly to a part-time engagement and effort, compared to the previous full-time/3 months engagement and effort from previous editions. However, the distribution of these 175 hours are left to be agreed upon between the student and mentor. This also means more free time for mentors to work on their own projects.
  • Only 2 evaluations instead of 3, as the coding period is shortened.
  • More diverse applicants, including ones attending “licensed coding school, etc.”

Thanks for your help,
Eduard

1 Like

Hi Enygma,

Great to hear that XWiki is participating. Looking forward to it!

Is there a chance to follow Proposal for Google Summer of Code student selection process? I do honestly think that we need a more rigid process in order to have a successful GSoC.

Best,
Fawad

Reminder that the deadline for submitting project proposals is this Friday, 19:00 UTC (4 days left).

Also, please remember to include 3-5 tasks in each proposed project that students need to complete when applying, as per @ginpachi’s proposal. These documents have been updated to mention/require project tasks, so we should try to have as many proposals with tasks as possible:

Hello Enygma,

Congrats on getting selected for GSoC 2021.

I was looking at the list of projects we have on the roadmap for 2021 and was intrigued by the “Amazon AMI For XWiki” project. I have been a GSoC student twice (2019 and 2020) and currently am working with Amazon as a software developer. It’s amazing to see that you guys are distributing your software through AWS EC2 AMIs.

I have good amount of experience working with Cloud Computing and would like to be the mentor for this project (in case you are still accepting mentors) . I’d be happy to provide you with AWS Resources required for doing the testing and development of the project.

Do let me know if this would be feasible.

Best
Sachin

1 Like

Hi @sachin10101998 Thanks a lot for your interest and your proposal for help and mentorship! I’m the one who proposed this idea Amazon AMI for XWiki (GoogleSummerOfCode.AmazonAMIforXWiki2021) - XWiki and I’d be very happy to co-mentor this project with you, especially since you probably have a lot more experience in Amazon AMI than I do. Also thanks a lot of the offer to provide resources, much appreciated.

Also, and since you work for Amazon, you probably have some user experience of using XWiki already, which is always good :wink:

We don’t distribute XWiki yet in this manner but that’s the purpose of this project indeed! The end goal is to be able to distribute XWiki in the Amazon Marketplace.

Thanks a lot. You can ping me on matrix to organize the details if you wish (like knowing your google account so that I can add you as a mentor and add you to the matrix chat for mentors).

1 Like

Reminder for GSoC students that applications close in 30 hours from now.

If you are still chipping away at your proposal, trying to make it perfect before anyone sees it, stop right now and submit your draft version as it is. Use the remaining hours for feedback and polish, but do not forget to submit the final version before the deadline (preferably now as well).

Good luck!