Xwiki Server Migration

Hello all,
I’m facing an hard issue that I cannot solve.
I’ve a xwiki 6.3 working in a windows server using jetty and mysql.
I want to migrate it to a new windows server, using TomCat9 and doing an xwiki upgrade, so I’ve done the following:

• dump the mysql server and restore it on new server
  • install xwiki-platform-distribution-war-11.10.11.war on new server

The old pages are shown in the new installation, but I don’t have menus and administrative tools.

So I re-install with old 6.3 extensions and putted the xwiki-platform-distribution-flavor-xip-11.10.11.xip flavor for upgrade (my servers are off-line), but after it, I do have administrative tools, but all pages are broken.
I can I successfully have my pages and admin tools working both ?

That doesn’t start well :wink: You should use 12.10.4 instead since that the LTS and supported.

Have you checked Backup/Restore (XWiki.org)?

Thx

OK, I’ll check with 12.10.4
Yes, I followed the instrutions in XWiki.org, and they really say that if the change is big, I should start a new fresh installation.

So I’ll install 12.10.4 and upload the Extensions (xwiki-platform-distribution-flavor-xip) and then connect it to my sql restored Database

Hope it work.
Is that the method, no ?

Then you forgot to mention how you backed-up and restored your permanent dir

I put all data inside old permanent dir on new one, except cache folder.
I copy also the 6.3 extension that are inside no? The new instalation 12.10.4 will merge with 6.3, isn’t it ?

Thank you very much

What data? You must not copy any data. You must just point the new instance to the old permanent directory (best is to copy it so that you keep the original one).

There’s nothing to copy…You should not mess with the permanent directory, except maybe for temporary files (but even that is not important). See https://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Documentation/AdminGuide/Configuration/#HPermanentDirectory for details on the perm dir.

So, there is my point.
I don’t copy the old Permanent directory from old server to new one?
You mean that the new installation 12.10.4 creates all new content in new permanent directory, and I don’t need start with old permanent directory files inside new permanent directory in order to do the migration?

Thank you

Yes you need to copy the permanent directory but the whole of it.

As I said, I was reacting to what you said:

I put all data inside old permanent dir

This is ofc not correct as you shouldn’t put any data inside the old perm dir!

Hello,
I still didn’t reached what I want :frowning:

So, I’ve an old windows server with xwiki 6.3, jetty and MYSQL 5 running.
I’ve created a new windows server with xwiki 12.10.4, TomCat9 and MYSQL8.

I want to migrate my xwiki from old server to new server, so I backup the database and restored to new MYSQL8 on new server and copied also the entire permanent folder from old server to new one. The problem is that I get everything disarranged, I can’t do a clear migration.

I there any special procedure for this situations (Server machine and Xwiki Version Upgrade) ?

Thank’s