Empty translation values can't be completed

Hello.
Since about 2 weeks (probably it’s regarding this topic) I get a daily reminder via email about 18 incomplete strings in german:

Übersetzung Unvollständige Zeichenketten
XWiki Platform/xwiki-platform-extension-handler-xar — Deutsch 2 Anzeigen
XWiki Platform/Image Style UI — Deutsch 2 Anzeigen
XWiki Platform/XWiki Core Resources — Deutsch 12 Anzeigen
XWiki Platform/Panels.Translations — Deutsch 1 Anzeigen
XWiki Platform/Repository — Deutsch 1 Anzeigen

Those 18 incomplete strings are all empty values. But I’m not able to set their translation as “completed”.

I’m a bit proud that with lots of work I had fullfilled german translations to 100 %. It’s a matter of accessibility that I care a lot. So I subscribed to all regarding german translations to fix changes as fast as possible. Now new cases are “polluted” with a lot of noise.

Is there any possibility to set those empty values to “completed” translations? Why do they have to exist if they are empty? Why didn’t they affect my subscriptions before (if they existed before)?

As @surli commented two of those 18 empty values maybe you know some answers to my questions?
Regards, Simpel

Hi @Simpel

thanks for your commitment there :slight_smile:

I will try to see what I can do, but right now I have no idea how to do that.

So I know some of them are there for historical reasons (in particular in XWiki Core Resources), but I’m indeed not sure why we keep adding some, for example I find image.style.administration.liveData.emptyvalue a bit weird, but I guess there’s a technical reason behind it, maybe @mleduc or @mflorea could explain.

They did existed before, the only thing I could think about is that you receive those now because they received a translation we rolled back and so they have the flag “Has been translated”.
Now it’s true for XWiki Platform/xwiki-platform-extension-handler-xar — German @ Weblate XWiki.org: for example, but not for XWiki Platform/Image Style UI — German @ Weblate XWiki.org: so if you did receive also notifications about this last one I’m not sure why you only receive those notifications now.

It looks like the issue can be solved by setting the original keys for empty strings to read-only. See XWiki Contrib/Teams Application @ Weblate XWiki.org for example.

I’ve logged the issue on Jira: Loading...

1 Like

Is there a way I can help to fix this?

I have no idea where to set the keys for empty strings to read-only. But I guess that has to be done at Weblate and will be only possible for accounts with special privileges? I see a “Flags” section in the right panel “String information” if something is set there. (As with the empty values in english.)

These 18 empty german strings annoy me every day:
Same keys in english are set to read-only:

Any progress would be greatly appreciated.
Regards, Simpel

These strings are missing the text, for instance, in the Ukrainian section, if I export the component as a ZIP file and open ApplicationResources_uk.properties, I can find this line
### Missing: xe.userdirectory.emptyvalue=
I assume what can be done is to mark these values as a comment not remove(delete) due to the fact probably it’s old functionality or option which currently doesn’t exist.

That’s indeed where the “read-only” value should be set. Can you edit it?

I’m surprised that there’s no inheritance over the flags in Weblate from the source translation, I’ll ask about that.

[Edit: Actually the UI seems to suggest that the flag should be inherited so I opened a ticket, you can follow it up on read-only flags are not properly inherited in translations · Issue #8792 · WeblateOrg/weblate · GitHub]

No, unfortunately not.

ok, in any case that would be a pity to have to set it up for any languages manually. I’ll wait an answer on my ticket if it’s ok for you.

[Edit: I actually tried to change the rights of standard users, so could you check again, you might have rights now]

I do have rights now to set the “read-only” value. I did with 17 of the above mentioned strings. Number 18 was already set by someone.

Now I am very curious whether I will get another email tomorrow or not. Fingers crossed!
Simpel

I didn’t check if the History tab records these changes.

I didn’t get the email remembering me that there are 18 empty strings missing a translation today. Will I miss them? I don’t think so.

Thanks Simpel

3 Likes

Just to clarify (and note to myself): in german translation of the interface you have to set section „Markierungen“ to „read-only“:

Markierungen
read-only

Simpel