Error 404 after latest update

Hi everyone,

I’ve been using xwiki for more than a year now and updated it regularly every time a new stable update came out. Unfortunately the latest update (14.10.1) seems to break my xwiki. It only gives me error 404 after the update so I’m looking for ways to fix. Could you please let me know what information I have to provide to solve this issue? I did the last update exactly the same way I did the previous ones so I don’t understand what the problem could be.

We’ll need a lot more details to help here.

The first thing to do is check the application server log for any error.

Hi,

Thank you for answering. However I’m not sure what to do with the link you’ve posted. It contains a whole bunch of information and I can’t even find how to access the logs following it’s suggestions. Is there simpler way for me to provide the necessary logs? Or could you please provide a step-by-step guide on how to do it?

EDIT: One thing I can answer. I have the standalone packaging installation so according to the article you’ve sent my logs should be under data/logs/.output.log. But I have no idea where to find this folder. It’s nowhere under C:\Program Files\Tomcat\webapps\xwiki nor under C:\ProgramData\xwiki. And these are the only two xwiki folders I have.

How exactly did you install XWiki ?

I have followed this guide: Installation (XWiki.org)

I’ve installed the standalone version on a Windows Server 2019 operating system. I have tomcat running xwiki with postgre SQL and I access xwiki through a web console. I have two xwiki folders on my computer:

• C:\Program Files\Tomcat\webapps\xwiki (main folder)
  • C:\ProgramData\xwiki (permanent folder)

This reference many ways to install XWiki.

So I guess you mean you followed Installing XWiki .war package manually (XWiki.org), right ?

From the logging documentation that would be:

If you use the Manual WAR packaging, then it depends on the Servlet engine you’ve used and how you’ve configured it. You could check in /var/log/tomcat*/catalina.out on unix or <tomcat home>/logs/catalina.out for Tomcat.

I can’t tell you the exact location as I never used Tomcat on Windows, but according to the suggestion you should look at the logs folder where you installed Tomcat.

“So I guess you mean you followed Installing XWiki .war package manually (XWiki.org), right ?”

Yes, correct.

“I can’t tell you the exact location as I never used Tomcat on Windows, but according to the suggestion you should look at the logs folder where you installed Tomcat.”

Under C:\Program Files\Tomcat\logs I can see a lot of log files. Which one do I need?

Also it might be an alternative solution if you could explain how to properly upgrade my xwiki installation because right now I’m not sure I do it the right way. Every time I download the latest war package, backup everything just in case then overwrite the old folders with the newly downloaded war package’s content. Well, it’s very over simplfied but that’s how I do it. Is there another way to do it from within xwiki maybe? Is there an update option somewhere in xwiki?

Here’s how I upgrade xwiki exactly:

1. Backup from within xwiki: http://xwikiwindows/xwiki/bin/admin/XWiki/XWikiPreferences?editor=globaladmin&section=Export (use export with history option)
  2. Stop tomcat service
  3. Backup “C:\Program Files\Tomcat\webapps\xwiki” folder rename it to xwiki_old
  4. Backup permanentDirectory “C:/ProgramData/xwiki” folder
  5. Download latest war package: Download XWiki (XWiki.org)
  6. Extrack war package
  7. Create a new empty xwiki folder under C:\Program Files\Tomcat\webapps. It must be an empty folder, because you can’t just overwrite the existing installation, it would cause a mess
  8. Copy the content of the downloaded war package into “C:\Program Files\Tomcat\webapps\xwiki” folder
  9. Copy back the following files from the old “C:\Program Files\Tomcat\webapps\xwiki” folder you have backed up in step 2
    • WEB-INF/hibernate.cfg.xml (Hibernate configuration)
    • WEB-INF/xwiki.cfg (old XWiki configuration file but still used)
    • WEB-INF/xwiki.properties (new XWiki Configuration file)
    • WEB-INF/classes/logback.xml (Logging configuration)
    • WEB-INF/observation/* (Cluster configuration)
  10. Start tomcat service

Have you checked the suggested catalina.out file ?

Have you looked at Upgrading (XWiki.org) ?

No.

“Have you checked the suggested catalina.out file?”

There’s no catalina.out file but I have catalina.2022-12-12.log for example (from the day of the last upgrdate)

“Have you looked at Upgrading (XWiki.org)?”

Yes, and I’m using Method 1.C

Any suggestions?

And have you checked if you find XWiki related log in it ?

Can you help me out here? What do you mean by xwiki related log? Which one is that?

you should check that log for any xwiki related logs.

Sorry but I have no idea what to look for in these logs. I’ve attached the log file. Can you see anything helpful in it?
catalina.2022-12-12.log (79.6 KB)

It does not seem to contain XWiki log, I see only Tomcat own log.

Okay. Do you have any other suggestions?

There is no other file in the same folder that could be about the xwiki application ?

I’ve attached a txt file containing the list of files I can see in the folder.
log_files.txt (79.2 KB)

Honestly, I don’t know, the simplest is to check the most recent version of each file to see if there is any XWiki related log in it.

Anybody else got any suggestions?