How to insert inline icons in WYSWIG editor? šŸ¤Æ

Hi folks,

Iā€™m starting to feel stupid here. I think checked every piece of documentation at hands, but I canā€™t get to grips with this really simple thing (and I donā€™t seem to be the first and only one, here):

I want to insert an icon inline into the WYSIWIG editor in a comfortable manner.

:heavy_check_mark: I have the Icon Themes, Icon Picker Macro and Fontawesome etc. installed.

:heavy_check_mark: I can insert the icon picker macro ā€“ but why should I insert that into every article where I want to use a macro?

āœ˜ Iā€™m missing a editor toolbar button that opens a list of available icons of my chosen icon theme.
or a helpful auto-suggest when typing [[icon: or similar.

When I use the ā€œinsert imageā€ dialogue and choose the ā€œIconā€ tab, i have to know the icon name by heart ā€“ thereā€™s no picker! (But also, there does not seem to be an auto-generated list of the icons in my wiki ā€“ do I have to go to fontawesome.com and load their bloated icon lookup? That canā€™t be it! I found this list, but thatā€™s generic, rather hidden and aged)

When I guess or enter an icon name there and click ā€œinsertā€, the dialog requires even more clicks to answer image positioning etc.

or are you planning on dropping Icon support in favour of emojis? (My bad that our DB is not yet UTF8MB4 and save page crashes when I use emojis).

Please help: What am I missing here?

Cheers

Yes you could create some jira issues to improve this. I see 2 places where this is missing:

1. in the icon macro in the WYSIWYG
  2. in the new image dialog in the Icon tab

You should instead insert the icon macro (but it doesnā€™t offer a suggest either unfortunately).

I think itā€™s the most up to date we have but I agree that it should be moved to the reference documentation proper and not be in the design wiki anymore! Thatā€™s the place I use to know the names ATMā€¦

Not that I know of.

1 Like

Future idea from @mflorea : also add a quick action for inserting an icon (see Quick Actions (Proposal.QuickActions) - XWiki). Iā€™ve created a jira for it: Loading...

2 Likes

Thanks @vmassol for your quick reply.
Iā€™m looking into creating Jira issues for these things in the next days, as you suggest :+1: