Page editing with large tables / a lot of content slow

Hello,

We are using version 16.1.0. On pages with a lot of content, especially with larger tables, the editing of the page becomes slower and slower. Regardless of whether collaborative working is activated or deactivated. The behavior is identical in Chrome and Firefox.

Unfortunately, we could not find anything suitable in the documentation. Which parameters are relevant here or which logging can we check?

Thank you for your help

Hello. Indeed it seems we have some bugs for realtime about this, see Loading...

Now it’s strange that you get that without realtime enabled. Have you tried with XWiki 16.2.0? Can you paste some content that we could use to try to reproduce your issue?

Thanks

Hi,

As @vmassol mentioned, we indeed are aware of the performance issues with the realtime collaboration.

I reproduced your issue by creating a table of 100 rows and columns on 16.1.0.
When you mention that wether collaborative working is activated or deactivated, I suppose you deactivate it through the checkbox.

Some changes made to the way we handle exiting/joining the realtime session in 16.2.0 make that slowness disappear when unchecking the “Allow Realtime Collaboration” checkbox.

While waiting for the underlying issue to be fixed, switching to 16.2.0 would let users of your wiki disable realtime collaboration for these large pages to have better performance.

Thanks,
Dorian.

1 Like

Hi,

thanks for the feedback. We upgraded to 16.2.0 and are going to test it today. I will share the results.

Thanks

Hi,

we have tested with version 16.2.0. With the CKEditor plugin activated, we can no longer edit very large pages at all. The page freezes in both Chrome and Firefox. You can also no longer deactivate the checkbox “Allow Realtime Collaboration”.

If the CKEditor plugin is deactivated, the page can be edited.

Can I provide any more information?

Thanks

Hi,

I believe it would be interesting for us to have an example of a page that causes the browser tab to freeze when the xwiki-realtime CKEditor plugin is enabled.

I can reproduce the general slowness but there is no freezing on my side when inserting large tables.
Would it be possible for you to share a way to reproduce your issue?

Thanks,
Dorian.

Hi Dorian,

ok I have prepared a page. I don’t want to attach the page source code to this post. How can I share it with you?

Thanks

You could send a private message using this forum (you click someone’s avatar icon and click “message”)

Ok thanks, I did not know that. I have sent the example to @douakli

Hi,

Thank you very much for sharing an example page.

The example you shared is impossible to edit with the realtime wysiwyg editor both on 16.1.0 (I get a timeout and the editor switches to read-only) and 16.2.0 (The tab freezes).

Your example contains many macros, I imagine it is the same issue as the one reported in XWIKI-22083: Realtime editor can fail to initialize when many macros are present in a document

On the bright side, @mflorea was able to push a fix for the underlying issue today. I tried your page with the latest changes and the page was editable.

The fix will be included in version 16.3.0, which should be released at the end of this month. I hope this will fix the usability issues for your use cases.

Thanks again for the feedback!
Dorian.

1 Like

Hi Dorian,

thanks for the response. As soon as 16.3.0 is released, we will upgrade, test and provide feedback. We have a few more pages like that, without macros.

Thanks!

1 Like