Flow - Moving documents on Cristal

Hey everyone, quick update on moving files.

Issue: Loading...

As with XS, this will be done through the page menu. The difference here is that the move and rename are discreet operations, while on XS they are done in the same dialog.

The reason for this change is that these are two different actions for the user, even if the underlying operation is the same in the backend. By keeping them separate, we can also have a cleaner dialog for each.

Note: The main layout here is version A discussed in Initial Wireframing of Cristal but it would work the same with version B

01 - Initial state
CRISTAL-83 01

02 - The user opens the page menu and selects the “Move” option
CRISTAL-83 02

03 - A dialog is shown with the tree of the current wiki. A selection box for other wikis is also shown in this dialog.
CRISTAL-83 03

04 - The user selects the new location and click the ”Move” button
CRISTAL-83 04

05 - The dialog closes, the document is moved to the new location and a confirmation message appears.
CRISTAL-83 05

Are we sure about this? Why not have a single Move action? I find it complex (and a lot more costly in term of performance since you have to run 2 refactoring operations) to have to do 2 actions if you want to move and rename the page.

BTW in your screenshots you haven’t shown how the Rename would look like.

Also, your Move UI is not showing all options we currently have: advanced users can move from/to terminal to non-terminal page.

Only if there’s more than the main wiki. The other option would be to display the wikis in the tree (what we do currently in XS). I’d prefer that + have an input box on top to filter the tree.

Thanks!

Well, the rename option could be available also on the move dialog, like it is today. But renaming can also have a dedicated way of working. Clicking on the title, for example.

Hmm, these options were absent from my distribution. I am using the Admin user on a standard snapshot of 16.2 but the Admin user was not on advanced mode. I will update my wireframes.

Changing the title is not a rename. It just changes the title…

Rename means changing the reference for a page, which can be shown in its URL.

Thanks

Ah, this clears things up, thank you!

Maybe a bit offtopic but we have started to discuss with @mflorea about actually changing the “Move/Rename” UI to only use “Move”, and then to provide another menu entry “Rename” which would only perform “Changing the title”. It was informal discussion during the hackathon when we were working on the navigation panel actions, it seems we haven’t opened a proposal for that, or I can’t find it right now.
Also we have Loading... opened about the inconstency on Move / Rename currently in XS.

I’m not sure to understand the part about having a “Rename” that would change the title only. We have the edit mode for this. I don’t think you are proposing that we should stop being able to edit the title in edit mode and instead move that to a “rename” action, right?

Personally I’m fine to have a single Move action and no Rename since:

• changing the page reference is the same as moving the page
  • it’s already possible to edit the title in edit mode

No, the idea was more about having a shortcut for renaming the title when you only want to do that, as it could maybe be disturbing for a new user to rename a document by actually editing its content. We were thinking about having that shortcut in the Navigation panel actions (which was what we were working on during hackathon). But we thought maybe it could also take place in the more action menu.

Do you think we could use this term “Page Reference”? This way we could be more specific in the interface.

For example, in XS this field is called “Name”. At a first glance is sufficiently different from the field “Page Title”, but both are available in a page that is called “Rename”. IMO using “Page Reference” instead of “Name” would help to clarify some potential confusion for end users.

XS screenshot below:

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 11.00.12

IMO problem is that we actually do multiple things at once in this UI. When you change the field “Title” you do actually 2 things: 1. you change the title of the document, 2. you also change the reference in new location field. Hence the confusion: by editing a single field you’re performing 2 actions a rename of the title + a move of the page to a new reference.

This is clearly a technical name, way too complex for simple users to understand. You can talk about Page Location, that’s something easier to understand for users IMO.

Oh, you mean just for the Advanced user field in the move UI? In that case, yes. However, a reference is the combination of the wiki name + parent names (space names, separated by dots for nested spaces) + page name.

EDIT: “parent” is weird in that UI.

Yes, only the field for Advanced users, my bad.