Restyling of app actions (AWM)

Hey everyone, just a quick proposal to make the app actions more streamlined on the XWiki interface. The current version is very wasteful on space and has some legibility and standardization problems with its icons and fonts.

Context
Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 08.19.10

Proposal

Remove the title “Actions” and make these actions a toolbar, this would ensure better vertical space and use a popover menu for actions that are not required for day-to-day use.

The buttons and menu options should follow the standard XWiki components.

This toolbar should have the following actions: “New Entry” and “More options”.

New entry:

• Main action, styled as primary button
  • Aligned at the start of the toolbar

More options:

• Secondary button
  • Aligned at the end of the toolbar
  • Not all actions would have an icon, only those that have a very clear meaning for the icon.
  • The action “Delete All Entries” to be labeled “Clear All Entries”. This is to differentiate this option more from “Delete Application”. Having two deletes so close to each other could induce an error on the user’s part when in a hurry.

Toolbar with More Options resting
app_actions_1

Toolbar with More Options active
app_actions_2

Hi Thiago,

Looks good to me.

The only comment I have, which is orthogonal with your proposal but related, is that there have been discussions in the past about trying to remove controls inside the page content so that the page content only contains content.

Some ideas going in this direction:

• To create a new entry, use the existing “+Create” button available in the XS UI, and select the Provider Template for the app. AWM apps already create the template provider AFAIK so this already exists.
  • and/or Insert the AWM actions inside the page menu. For example, add the “New Entry” as a UIX left to the “Edit” button in your screenshot, and move the other actions inside the more menu (hamburger icon).

The same topic exists for the FAQ app for example, see https://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/FAQ%20Application#HDescription where the idea would be to replace the “search” and “contribute” actions. See Loading... and the discussion at No custom create UI in data apps when users create entries

See also Loading...

WDYT?

Thanks
-Vincent

Interesting, it’s nice to see that these discussions took place in the past. I did not read the whole thing through yet as it is very technical towards the end. But I agree on the premise, having the standard content menu area to interact with the app would be ideal.

I think I would go towards this route and moving the secondary options (delete app, delete entries, etc) to the hamburguer menu.

Thanks!

+1 on my side as well.

Thanks,
Marius