What's New change to use notifications?

Hello devs,

I don’t recall if we discussed using XWiki notifications for the What’s New feature (I don’t see it mentioned in UC1 at UC1 at What's New Feature (Proposal.WhatsNewFeature) - XWiki ). It seems it could be an interesting idea for several reasons:

• Single place for all notifications
  • Ability to opt-in/opt-out in the user profile
  • No need to develop a new UI
    • Actually this is maybe not fully true. I guess it depends if we can keep being terse and have only a few lines. I think it would work for what we have ATM. However, not sure how it would work if we add images. Any idea?
  • Ability to receive what’s new news by email

Or maybe we need both, with a link in the notifications to the What’s New UI, so that users who want to be notified, can be notified.

WDYT?

Thanks

1 Like

It could be interesting to have notifications. The display of those has to be discussed: for email it’s probably ok as we can take the place we want. For the notification area I’m not sure putting an image would be good, but could be only a line with a link to go to the actual news.

Now, you have to consider a few thing:

1. since it’s not a notification linked to a page of the wiki you will have to use a targetable event, and so to decide who can receive those: could be the admin group, or the all users group, or a configurable group for example.
  2. since XWiki 15.5 and the change on watch, by default all new notification type is watched: meaning that if you trigger a targetable event with a new type for all users, everyone will receive the notification. They can always then decide to stop watching those, of course.